Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2021 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

Postal Match Scoreboard >>> April * May * June * July * August * September

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

For smartphone and tablet users, a TMA mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: Please recommend a punch for making patches  (Read 221 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Please recommend a punch for making patches
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

. .  cutting patch strips . . . insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are . . . proper diameter. 

RobD. Understood. That's why I want to experiment with both methods. I plan to buy some ticking soon enough and I am not ruling out any particular method. I like the idea of cutting at the muzzle. For now, the question is still about finding a punch to make round patches. I want to try that method for now.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & TMA Contributing Member
Re: Please recommend a punch for making patches
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »

. .  cutting patch strips . . . insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are . . . proper diameter. 

RobD. Understood. That's why I want to experiment with both methods. I plan to buy some ticking soon enough and I am not ruling out any particular method. I like the idea of cutting at the muzzle. For now, the question is still about finding a punch to make round patches. I want to try that method for now.

That's the way to go - test and see what fits your shooting agenda best.  A precut patch is clearly faster that cutting a patch at the muzzle, a ball board is clearly faster than a precut patch, a ball board with powder is faster yet, and the fastest of all is the way it was mostly done in the military of the 18th century - a paper "cartridge" for muskets.