Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2021 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

Postal Match Scoreboard >>> April * May * June * July * August * September * October

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

For smartphone and tablet users, a TMA mobile theme is available!

Author Topic: New CVA Bobcat Stock  (Read 1171 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: New CVA Bobcat Stock
« Reply #45 on: Today at 02:13:51 PM »
I got out to the range today and, after three shots to confirm the sights, I shot my October postal target.  I can't say that I am pleased with it.  The factory rear sight was not conducive to good accuracy, at least not for my eyes.  I'll see what I have in the goody box to replace it.

As light as the rifle is, it thumped me pretty good with 70 grains of FFFg Goex.  When the boy was using it I had a pound or more of lead in the plastic stock to tame the recoil.  I may revisit that and drill a hole in the butt to fill with lead.  Otherwise all went well and I am pretty please with it.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Online Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8 Exp. 9/26/22
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #46 on: Today at 02:41:34 PM »
I got out to the range today and, after three shots to confirm the sights, I shot my October postal target.  I can't say that I am pleased with it.  The factory rear sight was not conducive to good accuracy, at least not for my eyes.  I'll see what I have in the goody box to replace it.

As light as the rifle is, it thumped me pretty good with 70 grains of FFFg Goex.  When the boy was using it I had a pound or more of lead in the plastic stock to tame the recoil.  I may revisit that and drill a hole in the butt to fill with lead.  Otherwise all went well and I am pretty please with it.

~Kees~

Kees, if you're not going to hunt with it, and only shoot 25 yards, I'd just drop that charge down to 50 grains and see what the rifle does... Your call of course.  :shake
Annual July Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska
1st Infantry Division '74 - '77
Fun Is Family - Good Friends - And A Good Flintlock Rifle

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:54:25 PM »
What Joe just posted rings true for a few good reasons.  A reduced charge for paper or steel at distances 50 yards and under will make for less recoil and better accuracy.  Not to mention less powder burned = win-win-win.   :bl th up  :shake