Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Brass range rod/ram rod  (Read 1807 times)

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
Brass range rod/ram rod
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
I need a brass range rod.  McMaster-Carr has several types of brass rod.  353, 360,385 464 and 485.  Would anyone know which rod would be best for a .36 cal  rifle?

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
Re: Brass range rod/ram rod
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »
Of the choices you showed in your post I would have to say the smallest diameter one, as a .36 caliber rifle has a bore of .350.  The .353 will likely fit, but I would try to find something with a smaller diameter like .30.  Look for a rod that is used for modern 30 caliber firearms although sometimes it is hard to find a rod long enough.  Why not buy a brass rod and have someone drill and tap the end for you accessories and make your own handle?

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:41:12 PM »
I am sorry that I wasn't clearer on the numbers.. These are alloy numbers, not diameters.  Some have higher lead, copper or zinc percentages.. 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »
Sounds to me like someone is overthinking things.

When I used to make ramrods, and I have literally made hundreds of them, I called up the metal supply store and ordered a hundred feet of 3/8 and 50 feet of 5/16, etc.  I was very happy with whatever alloy I got, and I never had a single complaint about what damn alloy I used.  I don't think I ever had anyone ask about it.  I know I sure didn't, and never thought to have asked.

If you go with the thought of obtaining a piece of brass rod, remember two things.  1)  Allow for an extra 3 or 4 inches in the length for a handle.  2)  Be sure to pin the rod into the handle.  IIRC, I used 3/32 rod I got from the hardware store.  Don't know what alloy that was, either.

For your .36 cal. rifle, I think a 5/16" diameter rod would be just fine.  5/16" = .3125"  I like to use a rod thimble on my  ramrods so if you use a jag with a 3/8" base, the rod thimble will not want to slide off the ramrod.  You might have to trim a little off the base to fit the bore.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »
Thanx for the info Bigsmoke.  I was looking at brass rods and had no idea how many different alloys are available.  What info I have found is most brass range rods are made from 360 alloy.  Several places have 5/16"/8mm available from about $28-$35. I am going to drill and tap both ends, 8x32 and 10x32 thread.  Will drill a hole across diameter on each end to slip a nail into to hook a wire or line to to pull the real tight screwups.  I did this on the rod for my .45 and .54 and it has saved me a couple of trips from the range

Online KDubs

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:04:30 PM »
Not for nuthin but you could avoid all the trouble of making a rod and get one with a handle from October country for around 40$.
 I have one and use it .  the T handle is a must if you dry ball.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
A "T" handle is pretty much a must on a rod if you don't want trouble trying to extract a dryball.  My most used range rods are ss and I have no brass rods.  Really contemplating making a brass rod with a T handle from scratch, myself.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 12:33:41 AM »
Not for nuthin but you could avoid all the trouble of making a rod and get one with a handle from October country for around 40$.
 I have one and use it .  the T handle is a must if you dry ball.
Kevin

Dry ball???????????!!!!!!! what is this dry ball thing that you speak of?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 10:16:06 AM »
  the T handle is a must if you dry ball.
Kevin

Oh - HORROR'S ! ! !  :bigsmile:
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
It must be the opposite of a "wet ball" which I had when I didn't get all the oil out of the rifle's powder chamber before loading last week.... :Doh!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 07:23:54 AM »
It must be the opposite of a "wet ball" which I had when I didn't get all the oil out of the rifle's powder chamber before loading last week.... :Doh!

~Kees~

"Wet balls" are NOT fun and too easy to create, I kid you not.  This is what I *hate* about those damn patent breech plugs.  It takes at least two, but probably three pokes down the tube to care for fouling control. 

First up is the bore with a damp or wet patched jag to clear out the heavy fouling.  This does a wonderful job of pushing some of that crud into the ante-chamber flue.  If ya stop now, you've got a contaminated ignition chamber.  Even if you do another bore wipe with a dry patch.  Second is a patch draped over a .30 (or similar size) brush to get into the chamber and mop it out reasonably dry.  This is the least I'd do with patent plugs.  Sometimes that ain't good enuf and the ignition of my flinter fizzles, with more wipes of both tube and chamber required.  I wish these offshore guns would not use patent plugs.  Dang.