Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Chunk Gun From The Bench  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Chunk Gun From The Bench
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:11:35 PM »
Well if all goes well, I plan on shooting my .40 caliber (13lb) Flintlock Chunk Gun from one of the benches at the Range in the morning.

I made a barrel "cant" block for it today in a somewhat quite warm workshop - but I got it done. I have never used a "cant" block attached to the barrel before, but I can certainly see where it would be handy. I got the idea from watching a video of some "chunk gun shooting" and thought, what the heck I can make one for my rifle. I made it out of an old maple chunk of wood that I had laying around from a maple stock I made for one of my rifles. It ain't pretty, but it ought to work.

I'll post a picture of it sometime tomorrow after I get back from the Range. I'll attach it behind the barrel's first ramrod thimble (4-1/4" from the muzzle)... I don't know why I even build the rifle with a ramrod accessory as it's not a rifle I'll ever shoot offhand - but what's done is done, and it ain't a going to change now. It's going to get the block.  :)

I'll set my target at 60 yards as that's the historical distance for chunk-gunning (unless you shoot the match offhand from 40 yards (which ain't going to happen with this rifle)...  :P

To be honest, I can't remember what charge I was shooting in this rifle - so I think I'll start building a load from 45 grains (which should give me a tad over 1700 fps) - and go from there. With a 1 in 48 twist in this Green Mnt Brl w/ .010 depth rifling - this ought to be a good starting point.

Nice thing about chunk gunning (for those that may not know), I don't have to do any sight work - just aim at the same spot every time and when a group is established (where-ever that group may be on paper) that's where the "official target" gets set (behind your spotting target).

It's fun once you get going in it - and it'll be easier for me tomorrow shooting off a bench.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Chunk Gun From The Bench
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 04:13:12 AM »
Sounds interesting Joe, hope to hear more.
Chunk shooting is very unique it seems and I’d like to learn more about it.
What is it about your rifle that makes it so heavy?
Picture will help!
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:31:05 AM »
Sounds interesting Joe, hope to hear more.
Chunk shooting is very unique it seems and I’d like to learn more about it.
What is it about your rifle that makes it so heavy?
Picture will help!

The barrel mainly. That one inch x .40 caliber has a 1/4 inch barrel wall, which I suspect is at (or over 9+ pounds), and the maple half stock is probably at least - or a bit less then - 4 pounds... It's always been my understanding that chunk guns were heavy (some upwards of 40 pounds or more) and ugly...

Mine can also be used as a "lite bench" rifle, though I don't feel a .40 caliber round ball rifle would do all that well bucking wind out to 100 yards. But put that .40 to work out to 60 yards or less, and it'll do fine.  :shake 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
Many moons ago, Ms Smoke gave me a bench rifle as an anniversary present.
In short, it has a 42" 1 1/4" barrel and is about a .52 caliber percussion.
It has a false muzzle and also a cant block (no ramrod).
It weighs about 22 pounds if memory serves right.  (no guarantee there)
Back when I wore younger man's clothes, I did shoot it offhand a time or two, but that was then, I probably could not hold it up for a shot now.
Good luck with shooting your rifle tomorrow.  The probability of that happening with mine is zero, if not a little less.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 03:00:24 PM »
Well I ended up taking 8 shots this morning from the bench with my cant block resting on top another block of wood - and I ended up shooting from 50 yards. First shot was right in the X-Ring, then I struggled to fined that X Ring again. Not really sure if the Cant Block is even needed since I'm setting the rifle off another block of wood, (which I "eye leveled" it)...  :Doh! Forgot my little level...

Anyway, shots 2 through 6 wasn't anything to brag about, but then I did find the "X Ring" again on shots 7 & 8, so at least I finished on a high note.

I used a 55 grain charge of 3fg w/ 4fg prime, .018 spit patch & .390 Hornady ball. I didn't swab between shots and all loads - loaded easy.

John, I really was half tempted to try a few shots offhand with this rifle - but I re' thunk it, and stayed with the bench.  :shake

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 05:20:26 PM »
That weight doesn't sound bad at all.  I used to have a .42" Va. flinter .50 that went about that same weight.  I still have a .54 US M1841 that goes 10-1/2 pounds.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »
That weight doesn't sound bad at all.  I used to have a .42" Va. flinter .50 that went about that same weight.  I still have a .54 US M1841 that goes 10-1/2 pounds.

Hanshi, it's kind 'a funny... After handling this 13 pound chunk gun the last few days, I picked up my  15/16" x 36" x .45 caliber GMB "lite" X-Stick rifle that weighs in at 10 pounds on the nose, and it seemed lite... Now I have shot this one offhand on windy days - but I just don't think I could wrestle that 13 pound Chunk Gun offhand for very many shots (maybe two) and there's no telling where that 2nd shot would go... :laffing  Let a' lone, the first one... :shake