Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Plastic nose cap on Uberti Hawken?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
Plastic nose cap on Uberti Hawken?
« on: January 09, 2022, 05:14:20 PM »
Folks, I've come back for more. Way back around 2016 I made a trade and ended up with an Uberti Hawken and accoutrements : http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=21816.msg204471#msg204471

Basically that rifle has been sitting next to my Lyman GPR that I've had for much longer. Life has finally brought me to a point where I have property to hunt on and a local muzzleloader season. Out they came, the Lyman was pretty much ready to go, the Uberti had issues.

The Uberti would not lock the hammer back. I assumed someone who didn't know what they were doing tried to set the trigger to light, but that wasn't the issue.  I ended up taking everything apart. I found what looked like half dried syrup inside the lock and triggers. Triggers were stuck together so much they had overcome the springs. It looked like someone had dipped the stock in oil as a wood finish and assembled the rifle without wiping down the internal lock areas.  Additionally, this rifle has, as best I can tell, a plastic nose cap.

I ended up stripping the finish from the wood just so I could get it all clean. I'm going back with an oil finish unless there is a good reason not to, Watco Danish Oil is what I have in mind.  The thimble entry (not sure exactly what it's called) is 2 pieces. The round part held by one screw, the flat part held by glue maybe.

My questions are why the plastic nose cap, where is that from? What wood finish is recommended? And why the 2 piece ramrod entry?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Plastic nose cap on Uberti Hawken?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 07:08:16 PM »
Plastic nose cap... Wow, that's hitting below the belt for sure. I've always (heard / felt) that Uberti was a step up on their products, (and maybe at one time they were) - but not anymore...

I've used the Watco Danish Oil, but I'm not a big fan of it. It'll work, but there's better finishes out there... However, if you're in a pinch - at least you have the Danish Oil to fall back on.  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »
You know I can't say for sure it came from factory this way. I suppose it could have been a kit.

What are the better finishes?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »
I always liked the water based dark walnut crystals (2 to 3 coats depending on the wood of walnut or maple) and two coats of Tru-oil,,, but there's a lot more choices out there than what I've used. Maybe some others will chime in. It's really a personal choice of what "you" like, not someone else... :shake

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 05:51:16 PM »
I was always a fan of Formby's tung oil until their prices went through the roof.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 08:01:01 PM »
I was always a fan of Formby's tung oil until their prices went through the roof.
Hank, I've noticed that too. No clue as what may have happen for them to almost double their prices, but they sho'nuff have.
I've always been a fan of Tung Oil, but the same is true with True Oil, which I like to thin out just a bit and use multiple coats.
As was mentioned above, It's your choice. you do what you like best.
As for as that Nose Cap, THAT does not sound like Uberti to me.
All the Uberti's I have dealt with, which is a limited few, were all just a notch above whatever was in 2nd place, insofar as fit and finish.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 09:26:46 PM »

I guess I'm trying to decide if I should leave the nosecap  or remove and replace it.  If I remove it, what do I replace it with, and how it it attached? right now its dark, almost black dull color.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »

I guess I'm trying to decide if I should leave the nosecap  or remove and replace it.  If I remove it, what do I replace it with, and how it it attached? right now its dark, almost black dull color.

Are you sure it's a plastic nose cap - and not a German Silver nose cap?

You could check out Dixie Gun Works for a nose cap I would think.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 09:05:53 AM »
I would remove the nose cap and scratch the inside to see what color it is.  If the scratch is shiny metal it probably isn't plastic.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online KDubs

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
I just received a hawken conversion kit from the hawken shop. For my TC hawken.
 Rear sight, trigger guard , butt plate and Nose cap.
 Rough, cast as is so needs Some work but they state the kit will fit most hawken knockoffs .
 You just order a nose cap also.
 Worth a look see.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »

I did take my pocket knife and carve just a little cut on the barrel channel where it wouldn't show.  It was definitely not any type of metal.  I was 'soft' and I'm 99% sure its plastic.  I'll leave open the possibility it is some type of dark wood, although I've worked with wood enough on making pens and even ebony caps on Mausers to know it is definitely not ebony or any hard wood.  Its as soft as balsa or, well...plastic.

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 12:16:43 PM »
Honestly I think it going to bother me if I don't replace it.  Just knowing it's not 'right' in any way.  Not to say this Uberti Hawken is an accurate copy of a real thing but...It's close I think.  Close enough that it shouldn't have plastic on it. 

Am I right that the nose cap is covering wood, and not attached like an ebony tip cap on a custom bolt action? Those generally use a dowl pin and are glued with a straight joint.  Am I correct that this 'cap' should be a cap an have wood extending under it to which it is 'glued'?  If so that makes me feel better about removing it and getting another to replace it. 

On that note, what would be the 'most correct' cap replacement? The rifle has the lock, hammer, breech plug, butt plate and toe plate all CCH.  would I need to try to get a CCH nose cap?  I could probaly find a way to do a lil CCH at home if I need to.  Or would the German Silver be more appropriate?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »
Honestly I think it going to bother me if I don't replace it

I can understand that.

The only other thing I can come up with (or think at this time) is it "horn" by any chance?

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »
Honestly I think it going to bother me if I don't replace it

I can understand that.

The only other thing I can come up with (or think at this time) is it "horn" by any chance?

That's what i was thinking, maybe buffler horn? it wouldn't be the first Hawken to have that, I've made 5 buff horn caps in years past for me and a couple club members
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline sclearman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 02:15:22 PM »

Tell me what horn would be like.  I've never really dealt with it, but I thought it would be very brittle, hard to cut or scratch.