Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Harpers Ferry redo  (Read 1321 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Harpers Ferry redo
« on: January 30, 2022, 05:56:45 PM »
I bought this a couple of yrs ago on my way back from Mn, a little antique shop along the highway.
It ended up having issues with the touch hole location. Anyways long story short, I ordered a .62 smooth barrel having the exterior duplicated exactly like the factory barrel. I had Ed Rayle do this and he duplicated it perfectly. He also soldered on an under rib and installed breechplug for me. I sliver soldered a homemade underlug for the barrel key and drilled tapped and installed a flash hole liner. Also made a front rr pipe and still need to solder that in place. Lastly I will solder on a front sight.
However this was al done after I stripped the factory varnish off the stock and slathered blo3x for a new finish.
So yesterday at the range was it’s maiden voyage and it fired perfectly on the first and second shot, third shot was a misfire but im convinced it’s the flint so I’ll replace it before the next shooting session. I loaded 30 g of 2F a .57 ball and thick ticking patch.
Pretty happy with the result and I’ll match this up to my Fowler and future trade Gun.
One pix is a shot of factory flash hole position.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Harpers Ferry redo
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 06:11:53 PM »
Wow, sure was a lot of work, but it sure looks nice Dan. :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »

You've done well, Pilgrim...……  :bow
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 07:53:41 PM »
Good on you, Dan!  :bl th up

Just one thing I noticed, and feel I should mention it to be on the safe side; the location of the bottom of that flash hole ain't a going to allow any powder (charge or prime) to get down inside your lock is it?

I only mention it because that is the very last thing you (or anyone) would ever want to happen, and there appears to be a gap.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:35:08 PM »
Good on you, Dan!  :bl th up

Just one thing I noticed, and feel I should mention it to be on the safe side; the location of the bottom of that flash hole ain't a going to allow any powder (charge or prime) to get down inside your lock is it?
I only mention it because that is the very last thing you (or anyone) would ever want to happen, and there appears to be a gap.  :shake

Good eye Joe but I was just holding lock in place, unbolted to illustrate. Here is new barrel after the anointing
No real gap to speak of.

HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »
That looks lots better!  I thought the touch hole was pretty low and partly covered by the edge of the pan when I saw the first photo!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025