Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Pistols

Harpers Ferry redo

(1/2) > >>

ridjrunr:
I bought this a couple of yrs ago on my way back from Mn, a little antique shop along the highway.
It ended up having issues with the touch hole location. Anyways long story short, I ordered a .62 smooth barrel having the exterior duplicated exactly like the factory barrel. I had Ed Rayle do this and he duplicated it perfectly. He also soldered on an under rib and installed breechplug for me. I sliver soldered a homemade underlug for the barrel key and drilled tapped and installed a flash hole liner. Also made a front rr pipe and still need to solder that in place. Lastly I will solder on a front sight.
However this was al done after I stripped the factory varnish off the stock and slathered blo3x for a new finish.
So yesterday at the range was it’s maiden voyage and it fired perfectly on the first and second shot, third shot was a misfire but im convinced it’s the flint so I’ll replace it before the next shooting session. I loaded 30 g of 2F a .57 ball and thick ticking patch.
Pretty happy with the result and I’ll match this up to my Fowler and future trade Gun.
One pix is a shot of factory flash hole position.

Hank in WV:
Wow, sure was a lot of work, but it sure looks nice Dan. :bl th up

PetahW:

You've done well, Pilgrim...……  :bow

Ohio Joe:
Good on you, Dan!  :bl th up

Just one thing I noticed, and feel I should mention it to be on the safe side; the location of the bottom of that flash hole ain't a going to allow any powder (charge or prime) to get down inside your lock is it?

I only mention it because that is the very last thing you (or anyone) would ever want to happen, and there appears to be a gap.  :shake

ridjrunr:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on January 30, 2022, 07:53:41 PM ---Good on you, Dan!  :bl th up

Just one thing I noticed, and feel I should mention it to be on the safe side; the location of the bottom of that flash hole ain't a going to allow any powder (charge or prime) to get down inside your lock is it?
I only mention it because that is the very last thing you (or anyone) would ever want to happen, and there appears to be a gap.  :shake

Good eye Joe but I was just holding lock in place, unbolted to illustrate. Here is new barrel after the anointing
No real gap to speak of.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version