Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: DIY Black powder  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
DIY Black powder
« on: March 20, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
Since GOEX closer I have been "YOUTUBEing Do It Yourself Black Powder". Looks pretty simple and can get supplies cheap. My question is when using "a powder puck tool" to compress
the powder What is the minimum size for your press. I don't want  to  spend hundreds of bucks to buy a press if a inexpensive (1 Ton) hand press will do. Anybody here have
any thoughts.  Got 3 flint and half dozen or so percussion (so far) to feed. Seems like DIY powder you don't need to keep much on hand (safer) too.  Also go a no10 and no11 percussion cap
maker and couple bags of the  fixens! Thompson Center closing also??????    WHATS GOING ON!?   
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: DIY Black powder
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 12:10:10 PM »
Since GOEX closer I have been "YOUTUBEing Do It Yourself Black Powder". Looks pretty simple and can get supplies cheap. My question is when using "a powder puck tool" to compress
the powder What is the minimum size for your press. I don't want  to  spend hundreds of bucks to buy a press if a inexpensive (1 Ton) hand press will do. Anybody here have
any thoughts.  Got 3 flint and half dozen or so percussion (so far) to feed. Seems like DIY powder you don't need to keep much on hand (safer) too.  Also go a no10 and no11 percussion cap
maker and couple bags of the  fixens! Thompson Center closing also??????    WHATS GOING ON!?   

Yes TC says they are closing (see link below).

There are some folks that make their own black powder and percussion caps... Personally I would rather buy them when in need, but making your own is a good option.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Thompson+Center+Arms+closing&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&refig=70de3986486f4aaa933692f6867a8213&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=thompson+center+arms+closing&sc=2-28&qs=n&sk=&cvid=70de3986486f4aaa933692f6867a8213

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 01:24:51 PM »
We have a couple fellas in our club starting to make their own, will be interesting to see how this turns out! as far as I'm concerned T/C can go ahead and close, they haven't support any of their warranty on traditional rifles for 10 years or more since they ran out of parts and their rear stuffer ML's as about as worthless as nipples on a boar!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 08:58:58 AM »
I've spent a good amount of time getting to understand the process(es) for making black powder and it appears relatively "easy" with the proper components and tooling.  Of the three components required, I think the charcoal used will be of prime importance.  Safety first, as always, meaning all grinding done wet.  Of the folks I've read about who've made their black powder, most find it just okay not as good for ignition or power as Goex, and nowhere near the burning of Swiss.  But, some black powder is better than no black powder.   

IMHO, the better answer to making black powder is to buy as much of it as you can right now, today, and stockpile for the future.  Mail order still works quite well.  Click on the "Black Power Availability" link at the top of all pages.

Online KDubs

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 11:27:57 AM »
Well I guess I have to agree with Rob, buy it while you can and stockpile it.
 That said, I started experimenting with making BP last yr.
 Started with hardware store bought items , wood charcoal, stump remover and garden sulfur.  IT SUCKED.
 Bought potassium, sulfur from skylighter and made my our red fir charcoal and BOOM, it worked.
 Now to be fair, I haven't tested it in a gun yet, still in mill powder form.  Planning on buying a press once my new shop is built. Then corning it.
  It is an easy process , no wet mixing of ingredients , all done dry, separately in a harbor freight 6# tumbler in an outbuildings, don't do it in your kitchen. Then mixed in small mounts .
  Good luck. Be careful , have fun
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 07:14:19 PM »
I recollect when I was maybe 10 or 11, a friend of mine and I bought ingredients at the local drug store (yes, you could do that then), and we experimented with making it.
The Sulphur made it smell right, but I am sure our portions were way off.  Probably just as well, we might have blown our heads off if it worked right.  It just burned, IIRC

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 07:34:41 PM »
In case you're a die-hard Goex BP user, I googled when Goex would be available again - and this came up;

(UPDATE: GOEX, including the premium Old Eynsford line, was purchased by Estes Energetics in late 2021, the company has announced they intend to continue to produce sporting black powder, and Ethan at ILoveMuzzleloading.com and others have indicated we should start seeing new GOEX powder in-stock again in late 2022 or early 2023.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 10:25:25 AM »
 :applaud yippee
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 08:30:27 PM »
If you want a real study on making BP, go to the Cast Boolits forum, and see the sticky in the ML section. Some actual chemists that are members have done a lot of experimenting. Be warned, it is MANY pages long!
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?103852-My-homemade-black-powder