Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Barrel Coning  (Read 757 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Barrel Coning
« on: May 30, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »
I bought a couple of Joe Wood's barrel coning tools a while back, one in .50 caliber and one in .45.  They have been on the shelf for a couple of months. Saturday I did the .50 barrel of the Pennsylvania Hunter.  I had done this once before on a .54 Lyman GPR with mixed results.  It worked fine for cut patches, but I went a tad too deep so the balls would pop out if I tried cutting the patch at the muzzle.  I made sure that I didn't do that this time; I can always go a little deeper if I have to.

I hope to get out to the range tomorrow morning before the 90*+ temperatures hit and burn some powder, and I'll see how easy it has become to load the rifle.  Then the plan is to cone both the Hodgepodge Rifle and Bobcat barrels.  After that, if someone wants to borrow the tools I can loan them out, provided they come home again.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Barrel Coning
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
I've had and used bbl coning reamers on different muzzleloaders and my takeaway is that unless one knows Precisely what one is doing with regards to muzzle coning, there's a better than 50% chance of ruining the muzzle crown.  I know there are folks that swear by muzzle coning and more power to em, but I've learnt that process is not necessary for either faster/better loading or for increased accuracy.  And no, I've never boogered a muzzle crown by coning.