The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Sourdough

(1/2) > >>

Winter Hawk:
A couple of months ago I decided to give sourdough bread another go.  Made a starter, then it was on to baking bread.  I have done this before with pretty poor results.  This time I have kept all metal bowls, pans and utensils away.  Also used water from the reverse osmosis filter which takes out the chlorine.  I believe the later was what caused my failures before.  Anyway, the results have been excellent.  The first batch I let the dough rise to double its size before punching it down and making loaves.  That worked but took a l-o-n-g time; over two hours for the first rising and almost three for the loaves.  The next batch I dropped the first rising, but once I had kneaded the dough I shaped it into loaves and dropped them in the pans.  2 1/2 hours later they had risen properly and baked up very well.  The recipes call for 375* to 400* and almost an hour's baking time.  With my regular bread baking I have gone to 325* for 35 minutes.  I tried that with good results for the sourdough, although the bread was rather moist.  The last batch I made I went 5 minutes longer and it turned out perfect.

The only "problem" I have is that you need to make a sponge to refresh the starter every week or so by adding a cup of flour and a cup of water, then letting it sit covered with a cloth, overnight.  Then you put a half cup (or more) in a non-metal container and pop it in the fridge for next time but what to do with the rest of the sponge?  Make bread, or pancakes, or biscuits or???  I have a recipe for sourdough applesauce cake, my Carol likes banana bread for breakfast, so I substituted mashed bananas for applesauce this morning.  It came out quite good if I say so myself.  The ingredients called for 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves which sounded like a lot to me so I halved that.  It still tastes like something from the dentist's office although my Sweetie said she still likes it.  I think that next time I'll either cut the cloves down to 1/4 teaspoon or leave them out entirely.

All in all, the experiment has been a rousing success and the neighbors are getting fresh bread on a regular basis.

~Kees~

BEAVERMAN:
Kees this sounds great, wanna share the recipe for the starter and such?

Hank in WV:
I wish I was your neighbor. :bl th up

Winter Hawk:

--- Quote from: BEAVERMAN on April 10, 2022, 12:38:57 PM ---Kees this sounds great, wanna share the recipe for the starter and such?
--- End quote ---
After reading an article on Sourdough in Countryside & Small Stock Journal a couple of months ago, going to several sites from a Duck-Duck-Go search, and consulting Alaska "Sourdough" Cookin' booklet, all of which have basically the same info slightly different, I put two cups of all purpose flour, two cups of filtered water, a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of yeast in a large ceramic bowl.  Covered this with a dish towel and set it on top of the fridge to stay warm.  Daily I took out a cup of this mixture and added another cup of flour and of water.  After five days I considered it good and put one cup of starter in a pint canning jar with a plastic lid and stuck that in the fridge.  With the rest I made my first batch of bread.  And not wanting to throw away good food, I used the previous cups of starter mix to make pancakes.

To use the starter I take my cup's worth from the fridge and put it in my large ceramic bowl, then add two cups of water, two cups of all purpose flour and a tablespoonful of sugar.  I mix this all up and let it sit in a warm place for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight to make the sponge.  I clean my jar after it's empty.  Then when the sponge has worked the required time and is bubbly I take one cup out for the starter jar which goes back in the fridge.  Then the sponge, which should be about 2 cups worth is used for the recipe.  The bread seems to want at least 2 - 2 1/2 hours to rise.  Biscuits, pancakes and such don't.  In fact yesterday's banana cake also went straight into the oven without sitting to rise.

~Kees~
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

BEAVERMAN:
 :hairy thank you Sir, gonna give this a try!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version