Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: **** TMA MONTHLY POSTAL MATCH RULES CHANGES ****  (Read 1031 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
**** TMA MONTHLY POSTAL MATCH RULES CHANGES ****
« on: May 02, 2022, 12:34:09 PM »
All matches are "fun matches" and all are encouraged to shoot at least one monthly match.  This is solely for the shooter's benefit as scored matches adds elements of practice for all manner of shooting needs that includes both target and hunting.  Striving to be a better shooter will beget a better shooter.  Putting a bit of pressure on your shooting by tallying up target scores is a way to seek improvement.  Practice makes for a better shooter, regardless of your match scores.

1. Target faces and scores will get posted on the day AFTER a monthly match has completed.

2. Each competitor can shoot a maximum of TWO target faces per monthly match.  Pick the best of the two faces for your submitted score.

3. A shooter class system will be enacted for the 2023 TMA Monthly Postal Matches and shooter scores from 2021 and 2022 will be used to classify competitors next year.  Master/50, Expert/45, Sharpshooter/40, Marksman/35, Patriot/30, Defender/29 and under.  Each competitor will need to submit at least two scores commensurate with the class they will be assigned, and all new first time match shooters will need to submit at least two target scores in order to be assigned an initial class.

If there is one (or more) shooters within a class, a top score winner will be named.

ALL competitors will have their class added to their posting title, and the title will be updated if they move up in class.

The shooter class system will hopefully be an impetus for folks to join the TMA Postal Match competition and have it be a vehicle to help strive for better marksmanship.  With a scoring classification system, as you improve you will have an opportunity to jump up in class and thus receive a good measure of shooting achievement.  Without a class scoring system, some folks - like me! - who will never become a Master at least have an opportunity to jump class from Defender to Patriot.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: **** TMA MONTHLY POSTAL MATCH RULES CHANGES ****
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:54:42 AM »
Can I  hear an "AMEN" on this my Brothers!!!!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online cwgrizz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 12:02:32 AM »
I like it, but can you explain how the class system will be used, please?  Will it come into play for the shooting competition or is it something to be posted with your name for bragging rights?  Thanks

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 06:24:51 AM »
I like it, but can you explain how the class system will be used, please?  Will it come into play for the shooting competition or is it something to be posted with your name for bragging rights?  Thanks

3. A shooter class system will be enacted for the 2023 TMA Monthly Postal Matches and shooter scores from 2021 and 2022 will be used to classify competitors next year.  Master/50, Expert/45, Sharpshooter/40, Marksman/35, Patriot/30, Defender/29 and under.  Each competitor will need to submit at least two scores commensurate with the class they will be assigned, and all new first time match shooters will need to submit at least two target scores in order to be assigned an initial class.

If there is one (or more) shooters within a class, a top score winner will be named.

ALL competitors will have their class added to their posting title, and the title will be updated if they move up in class.

The shooter class system will hopefully be an impetus for folks to join the TMA Postal Match competition and have it be a vehicle to help strive for better marksmanship.  With a scoring classification system, as you improve you will have an opportunity to jump up in class and thus receive a good measure of shooting achievement.  Without a class scoring system, some folks - like me! - who will never become a Master at least have an opportunity to jump class from Defender to Patriot.

Master - 50
Expert - 45
Sharpshooter - 40
Marksman - 35
Patriot - 30
Defender - 29 or less

Online cwgrizz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:53:55 AM »
Thanks, that is more or less what I figured, but wanted to make sure. 

Offline KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:07:00 AM »
I usually never know What the hells going on anyways so... Sounds good to me.g:yessir:g
 My only question is does the type of frontstuffer used matter.
 Sometimes I'll shoot my tc which is a pretty fine shooting rifle but other times I may shoot my civil war beauty ( still needs tuning) or maybe my smoothie, not tuned at all.
 Does it matter?  As it pertains to my ranking .
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »
I usually never know What the hells going on anyways so... Sounds good to me.g:yessir:g
 My only question is does the type of frontstuffer used matter.
 Sometimes I'll shoot my tc which is a pretty fine shooting rifle but other times I may shoot my civil war beauty ( still needs tuning) or maybe my smoothie, not tuned at all.
 Does it matter?  As it pertains to my ranking .
 Kevin

Doesn't matter, shoot what like as long as the firearm falls within the parameters we've always used ...

Trad muzzleloaders only, .31 to .75 in bore, iron sights, lead balls/bullets.  Long gun or pistol (either rifled or smoothbore), any traditional ignition system (flintlock, percussion, match lock, wheel lock) are all welcome.