Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Curing a flintlock  (Read 1664 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Curing a flintlock
« on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:51 PM »
When was it that I bought the PA Hunter from Kees?  Maybe a year and a half or even two years ago?  Well, it really doesn't matter all that much.  The fact is that I bought it and I am happy with it - to a point.
When Kees put the rifle up for sale, I was thinking about getting another T/C, it had been a long time since I have had one.  Except PA Hunters are all .50 calibers.  Well, he had taken care of that problem by having it bored out to .54 caliber.  Fantastic, that problem was solved.
And then, he had a 20 ga smooth barrel made for the gun as well.  Wow, this was getting better by the minute.
And the price was really right.  No idea what he was thinking when he priced it, but that really put it over.  I'll take it!!!
And he had changed it from the original T/C flintlock to a nice L & R RPL lock as well.
With a bit of hesitation, I decided that I could handle a flintlock, just like I had thought so many times before.
So, last year I took it on vacation with me to Idaho and attended two great rendezvous.  I shot the rifle at both.  And I decided I still didn't care for flinters.  There is just something about them that irritates me.  Don't know what it is.  But it's there.
I stewed about this for the rest of last year, even thinking about converting it to a side slapper (mule ear) lock.  Nah, that looked like way too much trouble.
Then it hit me, why not install a T/C RPL lock on it and use a nipple and drum?  Well, why not?  So, that's what is going to happen right soon.  Here's kinda what it is going to look like when it's finished.

I can't wait!!!

John (bigsmoke)

PS  I am thinking that I will keep the flintlock and use that with the smooth bore barrel.  I know I won't shoot that nearly so much, so it should work out just dandy.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Curing a flintlock
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
That'll doer! I was thinking after reading the top half of this post I was gonna message you about the flinchlock, thanks for saving me the trouble! :bigsmile:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 07:39:10 AM »
There's just something that irritates me about cap guns ... oh, yes, they use use caps!   :luff:

Looks like a winnah for ya, John - good deal!  :bl th up

Offline KDubs

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 10:08:30 AM »
Well like beav said. I was getting ready to buy a used pa hunter bored to .54 from a guy on TMA......guess that's not happening now .
 Enjoy and post pics.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 09:00:45 PM »
That'll doer! I was thinking after reading the top half of this post I was gonna message you about the flinchlock, thanks for saving me the trouble! :bigsmile:

Dang skippy, I was thinking the same😅
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 09:40:09 AM »
I never realized just how naked a rifle looks without pan or something!  I think it's gonna look good when ya get'er done though.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen