Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum...  (Read 770 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum...
« on: September 02, 2022, 07:01:39 PM »
Well, not so much the forum, but it is an interesting way to start this out.

After a lot of thought (ouch, that hurts a bit) I finally narrowed down when I purchased my dead blow hammer.  It was about 3 days after I got back from Earl Cureton's place when I purchased his business.  Considering it was kind of on the way, I detoured to Friendship for the Spring Shoot, then hit the road home.  After getting unpacked and organized., I decided it was time to go to Coeur d'Alene Power Tool and purchase a few necessary tools to perform my newly acquired skills, making powder horns in the style of Earl Cureton.  One of the tools necessary was a good dead blow hammer to set the drive spur into the maple block so I could lathe turn the baseplug.  (Note:  If you are not using a dead blow hammer, change up your game and get one.)  This was a medium sized hammer and it was a cross between red and orange when new.  I affectionately called it "Big Red".
Well, that old hammer was responsible for driving the drive spur into I don't know how many thousand maple base plugs.  Lots and lots, anyway.
So, I  used that hammer for that and a myriad of other tasks for about 30 years plus weeks - until day before yesterday.  I was using it to set some bricks in a flower bed I was building and it just flat gave up the ghost.  Well, I figure I got my money's worth out of that old hammer, but I sure was sorry to see it die.  I think I am going to put it in the flower bed somehow.  It should look nice, and be a good topic of conversation to boot.

In case you are wondering what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like - here it is!!!

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 08:43:03 PM »
Some days I feel like your hammer looks.  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 10:35:58 PM »
I had no idea what the inside of one looked like.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell