Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: KleenBore Lead Away  (Read 833 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
KleenBore Lead Away
« on: November 11, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
On another site there was a discussion of products to remove lead from rifle bores, and several people said they had excellent results with some of the various lead removal cloths.  Lead Away by KleenBore was suggested, as well as a product from Birchwood Casey.  I ordered one of the KleenBore cloths, cut a 1" x 1" patch off and ran it down the barrel of the Hodgepodge rifle.  Not that it should have any lead since I only shot patched round ball in it, but you never know.  Anyway, one pass down and back out of the bore of my (supposedly) clean rifle came out completely black!  Per instructions I then ran a bunch of dry patches down until they came out clean.  Then, just for giggles, I ran another patch of KleenBore in and out of the bore, really scrubbing as I went.  This resulted in another black patch, although not as bad as the first one.  More dry patches followed, and I finally finished with a patch soaked with Ed's Red.

I did the same with the T/C Pennsylvania Hunter, expecting it to be even dirtier since I bought it used.  The first Lead Away patch was dirty, but not as bad as from the Hodgepodge rifle.  I followed the same procedure as I used with the first rifle and put it back in the gun closet.  As a last note, before I used the lead removal cloths, I ran a couple of alcohol swabs down the bore to remove oil & grease which might have been in there and they came out clean.

Has anyone here tried this?  I'm curious how this will affect the shooting!  Hopefully the loading will be easier.

And that is all I have to say about THAT!

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Re: KleenBore Lead Away
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »
I use this cloth to remove the burn stains from the cylinder and from under the top strap of my .500 mag revolver. It will remove it quicker than any other product I have tried. Be careful, it will remove bluing for sure, but I don't know what it might do to browned steel.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."