Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Is Interest Waning?  (Read 998 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Is Interest Waning?
« on: September 15, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
I went to the regular monthly meeting of the Athens Fish & Game Club this evening.  I have missed a lot of them because I need to stay home with Carol, but I was not prepared to find that there were only 13 members present, including me and the officers.  Then it turned out that last month they didn't even have a quorum, which is 10 members.  There is a small handful of people doing the maintenance on the facility.  Our paid up membership stands at 191, so where are the rest of the people?

I have noticed that there is a lot less activity on the various on-line forums compared to four or five years ago.  Maybe they are all over on Facebook, I don't know since I don't go there?  Or is it that interest in "traditional" outdoor activities like hunting and fishing is decreasing?  I have a feeling it's the later; it's so much easier to sit at home and watch outdoor shows on the tube, and maybe play some confuser games to get the feel that you are actually out in the field.

Anyway, since Nessmuk's ranting elsewhere I'm following suit.  Have a good evening, everyone!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Is Interest Waning?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 12:55:39 AM »
Kees, I feel higher prices on everything in our shooting sports has everything to do with what "we" and others do - or use to do at this point when it comes to our general activities that we enjoy / or use to enjoy... I don't go to the Range anywhere near as much as I use to.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 09:20:18 AM »
I'd like to echo Joe. Price AND availability are reducing participation at a lot of shooting activities. Many people are husbanding thier ammo, powder and caps because replacement is so unsure.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »

For me, it's a matter of both (my) age and the "summer doldrums".

I've even let my gunclub/range membership lapse after 50 years, and can't go hunting anymore due to medical issues.  :(

Although I usually post about some muzzleloading item I've made or converted, I've reached the point where I really don't need/want anything more than what I already have - so mostly just reading interesting (to me) posts.
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 06:35:54 PM »
Although I usually post about some muzzleloading item I've made or converted, I've reached the point where I really don't need/want anything more than what I already have - so mostly just reading interesting (to me) posts.

PetahW, I feel you just described me as well.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 07:05:30 PM »
Yes, to answer PetahW, interest is waning in all types of shooting activities as well as (IMHO) pretty much anything that takes more than just minimal effort to accomplish. It's so much easier to say no or to do nothing than to dig down a little and try to do something. I put a survey on this forum in August and just 8 out of 4365 members found the time to reply (thanks again, to those who did). Less free time and family commitments were cited by the respondents, and that surely is true, but I also believe that the lack of available vital components such as powder and caps, plus the tremendous increase in cost of the same is taking its toll. In March I bought a pound of IMR4227 powder to load for my S&W 500 mag, and paid $37. This past weekend a major sporting goods store a few miles away had its grand opening and their price was $56! They had no .50 bullets of any brand, no cases and no loaded .50 ammo. I encourage everyone to get out and shoot and take a buddy with you - especially if you can find someone to introduce to the fun world of shooting. We don't need to shoot a lot, but we do need to keep our 2A heritage alive.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 09:55:23 PM »
Like Joe, I also agree with much of what PetahW had to say. I also stay pretty active with other summertime hobbies although I would like to be able to shoot more often.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 03:03:33 PM »
Muzzleloading forums in general are somewhat being ignored.  One of the very first sites I joined long ago can go days with no posting whatsoever.  Half the time I'm the only one who does post.  Even those who've been busy on the site in the past seemingly have nothing to say.  Others I visit are now very quiet while the heavy traffic of the past seems to have disappeared. 

I tell jokes and tall tales sometimes just to have something on the site.  Plus I am always ready to talk supplies, shooting and guns even if there's nothing new to say.  Rehashing is fine with me.  I see no reason to visit a sight and not post something.  I probably belong to too many forums and it takes a while to check them; absolutely can't be done in one day.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 05:12:38 PM »
I've reached the point where I really don't need/want anything more than what I already have - so mostly just reading interesting (to me) posts.

I've slowly been getting rid of "stuff."  The boys aren't really interested in a lot of what I have and viewing my own mortality, it makes sense to find homes for it all.  Some is being sold with plans for replacements.  I.e. I recently sold a .357 revolver I haven't shot in almost 15 years, so that I could get a Navy Colt replica which I hope will get more use.  And I have some camping/back packing gear I'll be giving to the Athens Fish & Game Club to auction off at our annual Thanksgiving dinner.  The money will be used for improvements and for the youth program.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Kees,
I have been doing the same thing.  A few years ago, I liberated a Colt Trooper .357 and a 1911ish .45 ACP.
I have also turned loose my 8 bore double rifle, my .72 cal sporting rifle, my .69 cal sporting rifle and my .62 cal sporting rifle.  After I got back from my latest trip, I liberated a .54 cal rifle as well.
That leaves me with our .54 cal PA Hunter and the 20 ga barrel, a target rifle (which I haven't shot in over 30 years) and my .45 SMR.  I don't think I have shot that one since I got down here to LaLaLand.  Black powder pistols, I have enough, plus a few Cowboy Action guns as well.
The bottom line here is that the desire to shoot has really declined since I got here.  The local range has no allure to me as the people in charge seem to think they are DI's in charge of a basic training scene.  I spent too much time in basic training (only 8 weeks but it seemed like 8 years) to ever want to repeat that experience.  So thanks, but no thanks.
I am pretty sure that if I still lived in Idaho, I would spend a lot more range time at the local range, but down here, no thanks.  Plus, it seems like the desire to just go shooting has really left me.  It seems that where we lived up there, I was literally able to step onto the porch and shoot.  I really liked that ability.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 05:59:21 AM »
Life is fickle, interests of trad steeped  folks will wax and wan, newbies and pilgrims seem to crop up when entertainment puts out another trad muzzleloader related flick, the "old guard" just keeps getting older and Slower, time and disposable money become more dear, and most things related to humans runs in cycles.  It is what it is.

Online Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 08:11:26 AM »
While we may not see it on forum traffic, I see a fair amount of interest and activity on other forms of social media for traditional muzzleloading. I've had several younger guys ask me through Facebook for my gunmaker's information. Hell, I've sent ole John some much business as of late I ought to start charging him a commission!

My philosophy on recruitment is a passive one. I try to show the world, as much as I can, how much fun I'm having putting food in my freezer with traditional bows and muzzleloaders. I let everyone know that there's no magic to this feat, it just takes a bit of dedication. I think my passion for these sports comes through and kindles a spark in others. What they do with that spark is up to them.

Darren

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
Spot on, Darren.   

It's all about interest.  Ya either got it or ya don't.  You may not have it long, but it will usually creep back and then yer back in the game.  It's all good.

Trad muzzleloaders are a niche within a niche, within a niche.  The big interest of most young'uns ain't front stuffers, it's Glocks and ARs.  That will slightly change when the next 18th or 19th century pioneering flick hits the silver screen (or home entertainment center).