Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Where have the white sparks gone  (Read 1483 times)

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Where have the white sparks gone
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 01:34:02 PM »
I found this:

"Spark Color

Generally speaking, spark color tells you the most about the temperature and energy within the metal. When the grinding wheel removes small specks of metal from the test piece, it’s using energy to do so — meaning it has less energy with which to send that speck flying.

Due to this reality, harder metals that require more energy to separate will produce sparks with lower energy levels — and therefore a duller red hue. Softer metals, on the other hand, will produce white or hot sparks, indicating higher energy levels.

In general, red sparks indicate a lower-quality metal that is easier to cut and will have fewer applications in industry. White or hot sparks indicate a higher-quality metal with more potential for commercial use."

there must be a point of diminishing returns in either direction. too hard not hot enough sparks, too soft no sparks.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 03:20:17 PM »
So my understanding is the metal of the Frizzen determines the spark color not the type of flint, correct?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 04:36:21 PM »
So my understanding is the metal of the Frizzen determines the spark color not the type of flint, correct?

Hammer steel sparks are pieces of scraped off metal, so if spark color is of interest, it's up to the metal used for the frizzen, and what temperature they've achieved.

It's not the sparks themselves that matter, it's the amount of HEAT they produce to light up the pan powder, then it's the greater amount of pan powder heat that ignites the chamber powder.