Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Muzzle jumps to the right.  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Muzzle jumps to the right.
« on: April 09, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »
Whenever I shoot my .54 rifle, I put groups at 3 o'clock.

Here's what happens.
The sights are centered on the target when I pull the trigger.
As the shot goes off, the gun recoils with just a little muzzle flip. And then :
The front sight settles at the 3 o'clock position.
The result: a bunch of holes off to the right of the bull.

What are some possible causes?  Could the length of pull be too long?   

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Muzzle jumps to the right.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 09:32:34 PM »
Smokey, are you sure you're not flinching. It happens a lot with those not use to shooting a flintlock. I'm not suggesting you're new to the flintlock game (as I don't know), but the above is a possible cause which will work itself out the more you shoot a flintlock.

One thing to keep in mind (if it is just flinching) / don't play your flinch by holding off target. Just keep shooting with a center aim and put that powder pan ignition out your of mind. Don't even think about it! Just focus on your sight picture and nothing more, and follow through.

You may also want to try backing off on your charge, and rework your way up to the charge you like. Less powder will help in controlling the recoil...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 12:53:56 AM »
If you're not flinching, I'd check my length of pull and my trigger pull weight. I've had both of those problems and they both pulled me to the right.
Good luck!!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 10:52:54 AM »
If you're not flinching, I'd check my length of pull and my trigger pull weight. I've had both of those problems and they both pulled me to the right.
Good luck!!

Does that mean your length of pull was too long or too short.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:10:40 PM »
Something to try is to dry fire with a chip of wood in the jaws.  Put a dark colored tack in the wall for a target (assuming that you have light colored walls) and practice 10 shots every night.  If you are flinching this will show up, and with practice you will overcome it.  It will also help with smoothing out the internals of the lock.  I'm not sure how it will deal with LOP....

I try to dry fire 10 "shots" every evening.  It gives me a chance to play with my favorite rifle, and what's bad about that?  I've done this for years and it has improved my accuracy, although it went from bad to not too bad.   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 04:47:12 PM »
What load are you using?

Here's why I ask: as bore sizes increase, and charges increase, it seems to me the way the gun "twists" when fired due to the rifling tends to be noticed more.  I start to notice notice it in the .50-54 range, especially when the velocity is up there (say, 1750-1800 fps or more).  I also tend to notice it more when shooting FFFg than a load with the same velocity using FFg.

I suspect twist rate can also be a factor, at least I notice it more in a .58 with 1:48 rifling than I do in a .58 with 1:112 rifling. 

I first noticed this in cartridge handguns.  My 1911 had a bit of "hand twist" but a 45 Linebaugh had a definite "snap twist" (loads were, respectively, a 230 gr FP at 850 fps and at 1,700--the bullet weight is roughly the same as a .54 round ball). 

Honestly, if it is consistent but group sizes are good, I'd just adjust the sights to bring the point of impact to the desired location. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 05:25:34 PM »
LongWalker makes a very good point, IMHO...  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »
My trigger pull was too long so I was stretching to reach. It was just enough to cause me to jerk the trigger rather than the slow squeeze. Ohio Joe and Robd both taught me that a couple years ago.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 04:53:11 PM »
 Thanks for the replies.

After some additional range trips, I have discovered that the source of the issue probably involves the nut immediately behind the trigger. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 05:25:46 PM by Smokey »