Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Obligatory intro  (Read 960 times)

Online LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
Obligatory intro
« on: December 17, 2022, 11:44:01 PM »
I hate doing intros. 

I got tagged LongWalker back in the early '80s, and have used that name on the old MLML, Dean Rudy's mailing list, on the MuzzleLoading Forum, and probably a few others.  I went by Habu on the ALR forum when I was active there. 

I've been pondering some follow-up on an experiment I did 10-12 years ago. As I wrote then on ALR, I took an old Dickert and played with long-range shooting to see if the results fit with what Colonel Hanger wrote of the day his bugler's horse got shot.  I've been thinking about picking up one of Kibler's Colonials in .54 and repeating my tests, then doing the same with a Colonial .50.  That is as close as I can reasonably come to eliminating variables other than bore size, in something close to a rifle of the Rev War era.  The Dickert was probably from ~1790-1800, and had some issues with condition: probably close to a well-worn Rev War era rifle, but not up to what a new rifle could have done. 

Maybe.  I'm probably going to wind up spending too much money and get worse results than I got with the Dickert!

Circling back to the intro, Snuffer had talked about doing some further work along those lines, I'm hoping he posted some results here. 

LongWalker, c. du B.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Obligatory intro
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »
Welcome to the TMA! :shake
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 10:13:44 AM »
Welcome to the TMA cyber campfire, LongWalker!

i built a Kilbler .54 Colonial and she shot real well. 

Ah yes, Colonel Hanger ....

"Colonel Tarleton and myself were standing a few yards out of a wood, observing the situation of a part of the enemy which we intended to attack.  There was a rivulet in the enemy’s front, and a mill on it, to which we stood directly with our horses’ heads fronting, observing their motions.  It was an absolute plain field between us and the mill, not so much as a single bush on it.  Our orderly-bugle stood behind us, about three yards, but with his horse’s side to our horses’ tails.  A rifleman passed over the mill-dam, evidently observing two officers, and laid himself down on his belly, for in such positions they always lie to take a good shot at a long distance.  He took a deliberate and cool shot at my friend, at me, and the bugle-horn man.  Now observe how well this fellow shot.  It was in the month of August and not a breath of wind was stirring.  Colonel Tarleton’s horse and mine, I am certain, were not anything like two feet apart, for we were in close consultation how we should attack with our troops, which laid 300 yards in the wood and could not be perceived by the enemy.  A rifle ball passed between him and me.  Looking directly to the mill, I evidently observed the flash of the powder.  I directly said to my friend, “I think we had better move or we shall have two or three of these gentlemen shortly amusing themselves at our expense.”  The words were hardly out of my mouth when the bugle-horn man behind us, and directly central, jumped off his horse and said, “Sir, my horse is shot.”  The horse staggered, fell down, and died."

T'was a very Very long shot indeed!

https://allthingsliberty.com/2017/03/prowess-american-riflemen-mystery-now-solved/

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Thanks Rob, so now we know "The Rest of the Story".

A warm welcome to you Long Walker.  Hope you enjoy your time here and do keep us informed of the progress on your experiment.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 06:35:40 PM »
Welcome from SE Ohio, LongWalker!  I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your long range experiments posted here after you build the necessary rifle(s).

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online KDubs

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 08:02:50 PM »
Welcome from north idaho.
 I'd be interested in your long range endeavors as well.
 Postem if ya gotem.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 09:32:22 PM »
Speaking of long range shooting in Idaho, I bet Idaho Lewis would like to have a piece of that action.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online LongWalker

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 11:56:21 PM »
The more the better!  Lord knows most folks are better shots than me!

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 05:25:44 AM »
Welcome!  Looking forward to following your experiment!
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online KDubs

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »
I messaged Lewis once, just hi , hello kinda thing.
 Never heard from him.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »
Lewis used to hang out at the MM forum, dunno if he still does, but I messaged him there yesterday.