Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Annual summer sausage project  (Read 643 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Annual summer sausage project
« on: January 03, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
I try to set aside a few days at the end of each year to make venison summer sausage and breakfast sausage. By then, I usually have all the deer I need in the freezer and have the time to tackle the project. 2022 was unusual because my pile of raw materials was smaller than usual but I had enough to make around 60 pounds of summer sausage.

The recipe I use is of my own creation and something that I have been tinkering with for several years. It hasn't changed much as of late. I like my summer sausage to have a tart taste and I found the secret to getting that is to add a bacteria culture to the meat mixture and let it ferment for a day or so. You can buy it at sausagemaker.com, if anyone is interested.

Here is my mixture of herbs, spices, and liquids along with a big bowl of meat.

I have learned the hard way that making sausage is a lot easier if you have the proper equipment. A sausage press is a must!

I ended up with 53 chubs. My smoker can only hold 28 at a time so I had do this in two batches. I smoke the chubs at 175 degrees for around 7 hours and then finish them off in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees.

Once they are done cooking, I put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. After they reach an internal temperature of 100 degrees, I remove them from the cold water, towel them off, and then hang them up to dry. They will hang in our stairwell for a couple days before I vacuum seal each chub. Jake, our bloodhound, is used to the tempting meat hanging just out of reach. Our new Great Pyrenees, Daisy, spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to grab one. I think she asked Santa Claus for opposable thumbs.

Jake and I sampled this year's batch for lunch and found it acceptable. Jake only gave my effort a B+ but hinted that the grade could go up if he had more samples to work with. I think he's trying to game the system.

Our daughter had these plates made for us for Christmas and I think they sum up the situation at our house quite succinctly.

Darren

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Annual summer sausage project
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 10:42:28 AM »
That summer sausage looks down-right tasty!  :)  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Annual summer sausage project
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
 :hairy  Lip-smacking good, that's for sure!   :yessir:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025