Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: UNITED NEBRASKA MUZZLELOADERS CONVENTION  (Read 1100 times)

Online LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
UNITED NEBRASKA MUZZLELOADERS CONVENTION
« on: January 08, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »
Anyone going to the convention this year?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: UNITED NEBRASKA MUZZLELOADERS CONVENTION
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 02:40:09 PM »
I plan on stopping by the Convention in the afternoon on the 13th., seeing as I'll be in Kearney for a doctor's appointment that morning.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online LongWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »
I've got to work Friday, but I'm thinking about stuffing some trade goods (anyone need caps?) into a haversack and day-tripping on Saturday.  Best I can recall--other than a half-hour visit in 2014--I've not gone to the convention since '95 or '96.  Thought I might see if anyone I know is still alive. 

Online LongWalker

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 02:54:03 PM »
Well, that was. . . interesting.  Drove to the convention, wondered around for an hour, spent $10 on a book.  Saw no one I knew, learned nothing of interest to me (although the discovery that someone is making PLASTIC chevron beads threw me for a loop).  Drove home. 

Rather a disappointment.  Didn't see a thing on my admittedly short shopping list (looking for a couple of raw horns to use to copy an original I've always favored--finally found the right flask head for it).  Didn't see a Kibler Colonial (I'm hesitant about ordering one without actually trying one on for size). 

On the bright side, I wasn't tempted to dip into my rifle fund. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
We stopped by the convention friday afternoon, only about 1/2 the tables were occupied, but it was still early.
Picked up a nice little FACTORY ENGRAVED Stevens Crackshot .22, that my wife fell in love with (she was stopped twice by guys wanting to buy it from her as she was taking it out to the car). :)

I was looking for braintanned hides, rawhide, antlers, and etc.,.... but left the convention empty-handed. :(
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online LongWalker

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
I saw some hides (don't know if braintanned or German tanned) priced through the stratosphere, a little rawhide (looked like deer or similar, too thin for moc soles), lots of antler, a couple buffalo horns, an antelope horn (looked like it had spent a winter out on the prairie, else I'd have bought it), a couple-three cow horns.  None of the horns worked for what I need, and I've enough of everything else to keep busy.  I'd hoped to find someone for whom life without my little 32-20 would not be complete, or someone in need of caps or a screw-tip horn, but no joy. 

All in all, it was a pleasant walk but I'm glad I didn't drive too far to go there.  I did pick up a copy of Hanson's little monograph on Hawken rifles, as my copy seems to have gone walkabout. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 05:44:19 PM »
Those antlers must have shown up at the convention after I left. :(

TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 08:34:58 PM »
We stopped by the convention friday afternoon, only about 1/2 the tables were occupied, but it was still early.
Picked up a nice little FACTORY ENGRAVED Stevens Crackshot .22, that my wife fell in love with (she was stopped twice by guys wanting to buy it from her as she was taking it out to the car). :)

I was looking for braintanned hides, rawhide, antlers, and etc.,.... but left the convention empty-handed. :(

Rondo, I bet Beth is a going to have a great time with that Stevens Crackshot .22 !!!
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 08:53:32 PM »

Rondo, I bet Beth is a going to have a great time with that Stevens Crackshot .22 !!!
I had never seen a factory engraved one before, so when she asked if she could have it I told her I thought it would make a good "Early Valentine's Day Present".  :laffing   :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online LongWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 09:43:07 PM »
Rollingb, I'm about 90 minutes N-NW of you. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 09:45:19 PM »

I had never seen a factory engraved one before, so when she asked if she could have it I told her I thought it would make a good "Early Valentine's Day Present".  :laffing   :bl th up

Now that's some good thinking!!!  :toast  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »
Rollingb, I'm about 90 minutes N-NW of you.

Maybe we'll meet some day.  :)   :shake   :*:
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 04:57:23 PM »

What a s-m-o-o-t-h talker!  I LIKE the way you think (and I bet she does too!).

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025