Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Making Muzzleloader Fuel  (Read 2261 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Making Muzzleloader Fuel
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 01:38:56 PM »
Good link, Rob, thanks!  :toast The following comes out of it:

"While a person can make explosives for their own personal use, provided that they store them in a compliant manner, they may not transport them legally unless they have an ATF license or permit. And, that's even across town to the test-shooting site."

So even if I make my own, I can only use it in the back yard unless I get a BATF permit!  Hmmm....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2023, 02:01:12 PM »

"While a person can make explosives for their own personal use, provided that they store them in a compliant manner, they may not transport them legally unless they have an ATF license or permit. And, that's even across town to the test-shooting site."

So even if I make my own, I can only use it in the back yard unless I get a BATF permit!  Hmmm....

~Kees~

!!! SAVE YOUR USED, EMPTY SWISS AND GOEX POWDER CANS !!!

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »

~Kees~

I'm sure that is just a suggestion!  :bigsmile:

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2023, 04:54:41 PM »
Waksupi - Personally, I wouldn't want to bet spending my remaining years in a federal prison on it. Imagine the headlines if, while transporting the home brewed powder to the range, there was an accident, an explosion, and death/s. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and fun. I can't see risking it for a couple pounds of powder. I'd even try that unholy Pyrodex if it came down to it.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2023, 05:07:05 PM »
Waksupi - Personally, I wouldn't want to bet spending my remaining years in a federal prison on it. Imagine the headlines if, while transporting the home brewed powder to the range, there was an accident, an explosion, and death/s. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and fun. I can't see risking it for a couple pounds of powder. I'd even try that unholy Pyrodex if it came down to it.

What part of "!!! SAVE YOUR USED, EMPTY SWISS AND GOEX POWDER CANS !!!" don't you seem to get?  ;)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2023, 05:24:07 PM »
The part that it seems that you don't believe that the lab that would analyze the bp residue wouldn't be able to discern that it didn't quite fit the formulation of any commercial powder. It's very similar to following the advice to never use hand loaded cartridges for CCW ammo. I'm not being contentious, just stating what I would do, not do, and why. If you think otherwise, that's OK by me.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2023, 05:49:18 PM »
The part that it seems that you don't believe that the lab that would analyze the bp residue wouldn't be able to discern that it didn't quite fit the formulation of any commercial powder. It's very similar to following the advice to never use hand loaded cartridges for CCW ammo. I'm not being contentious, just stating what I would do, not do, and why. If you think otherwise, that's OK by me.

I hear ya.  To each their own!   :bl th up   :shake