Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mule Ear locks  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Mule Ear locks
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2023, 12:40:46 PM »
Every time I see Hanshi's Heritage model H&A I get envious!  Never should have sold mine....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 08:31:44 PM »
Every time I see Hanshi's Heritage model H&A I get envious!  Never should have sold mine....

~Kees~

Kees,  it looks like we share a common problem.  We both sold guns we liked.  I do not think I could name all the ones that have passed through my hands over the years, the exact count is a Bunch of 'Em.
At this stage of life, I don't think that is going to happen very much more.  I have two rifles I really like, our T/C PA Hunter and my Tennessee Mountain Rifle.  I do not foresee either of them being sold in my lifetime, regardless of how little I shoot them.
Speaking of the PA Hunter, it should be out of the shop this weekend.  Looking forward to shooting it as a percussion rifle.  It will still be a flintlock smoothbore, though.  If that don't confuse people, I don't know what will.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 07:57:33 PM »
 :hairy
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 08:20:31 PM »
John, when I see the word confused, I'm all eyes and ears. Please rescue me from my state of confusion concerning your TC  PA hunter. Why am I always the first one to admit I'm confused.  🤔

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 10:05:25 AM »
Non Poudre, Well, I don't know if it is really confusing or not, but what is happening is the PA Hunter is originally a flintlock.  When Kees had it, he converted it to having an L & R RPL flintlock.  He also had Bobby Hoyt bore it out to .54 from the original .50.  Then, to further complicate matters, he had a 20 ga barrel made for it.
So then I bought the rifle from Kees and I once again tried to convince myself that I liked shooting flint locks.  And, in a word, it just didn't work.  So, it was last year that I bought an L & R RPL percussion lock and recently took it in to have the conversion made.
So, if anyone who is familiar with T/C's should observe me shooting a rifle match, that would make them scratch their head.  Then if they see me shooting that same gun in a smooth bore match (with the flint lock on it) they would probably find that more confusing.
And that's just the way I like it.
And, I have no idea why you're always the first one to admit you're confused.  With me, it's just a permanent state of mind.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 10:18:33 AM »
Appreciate the explanation. Now look for my next state of confusion thread and explain this one to me.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024