Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 200 Yard Target  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
200 Yard Target
« on: February 19, 2023, 05:22:52 PM »
I think I'm going to try my B-18 (pistol targets) at an actual 200 yards with my Flintlock Rifle / offhand. It measures; 18-1/2" x 32" (so there's really no scale involved here) - as what you see is what you get (crotch to top of shoulder - on the average size man / give or take a little here or there);

I want to say that my intent is not to take away from Miner 49er's 200-yd "shingle" challenge from 100 yards (which I will shoot once decent weather gets here) / but I do prefer to know exactly what I can do with the ol' Flintlock from 200 yards "Offhand" against a full size "upper" target of a potential enemy from this 200 yard distance...

Still waiting for decent Range weather...  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: 200 Yard Target
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
Sorry, Joe. That's the Miner 49er's challenge. I was just first to try it!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 08:21:30 PM »
LOL! Yes it is  :Doh!

I'll do a bit of editing...  :shake

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 07:43:14 AM »
A noble quest, Joe, but I'd say go with some manner of rifle rest rather than offhand.  Even at 100 yards, offhand is pretty iffy, and is one strike against accuracy.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 09:11:15 AM »
A noble quest, Joe, but I'd say go with some manner of rifle rest rather than offhand.  Even at 100 yards, offhand is pretty iffy, and is one strike against accuracy.

This is true Rob, and I do plan on using (my long going project bench) at least until I get the "200 yard range" again... It's been awhile since I went out to 200... (Probably because I didn't want to make a 400 yard round trip "twice" to set & pickup" my target...  :laffing

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
Joe, when you shoot at 200 I hope that either you do it on a dead calm day, or you're great at reading the wind. That is one thing that probably won't be much of a factor, I hope, when tackling the "postage stamp" Morgan's 100 yard target. Good luck!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 09:49:58 AM »
Well I hope for some "calm wind" days when shooting, but that doesn't happen to often here in northwest Nebraska, but it does sometimes. For me it'll be easier to hit the 200 yard B-18 target than it will the, "postage stamp" Morgan's 100 yard target...

Ironically, I have a 5.25" x 8" orange center with a black 3" diamond in the center orange of the B-18 target I'll be using... I made that target up a few years back, but never got to the 200 yard shooting I had planned back then... (I don't know why???)  :Doh!

I remember now; I was practicing 10 yard increment shooting - offhand / starting at 70 yards and coming down to 20 yards I believe, (shooting fast). That's right, this was my Alamo Shoot - to duplicate someone handing me a loaded rifle and shooting fast / that's what this target below was used for... http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=26220.0

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 01:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Joe! Last fall, when I read your Alamo challenge, I thought it was a terrriffic idea. Recreating being on the wall at the Alamo has a lot of appeal to me as a shooter and a history buff. I came up with a plan to do your challenge with a few tweaks, it just needs 7 torso-size targets, 6 rifles, one Shotgun, a standing rifle rack, a simulated wall and a stopwatch. Maybe a camera too.  I have 6 weeks to do this AND the Miner 49er challenge before the Postal Matches start. It's a good thing I'm retired.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 05:43:40 PM »
I certainly look forward to your "Alamo" results, Nessmuk!  :hairy

That ol' bringing up the rifle and not pausing for a good aim / but rather a quick snap shot sure ain't as easy as ol' Hollywood makes it look.  :shake

Offline LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 06:11:51 PM »
I shot a match somewhere--Ft. Chartes maybe, maybe Ft. Osage--that simulated a charge.  Silhouette targets, 3 shots each at 100/75/50/25, on a VERY LOUD timer set for around 5 minutes.  IIRC I got 14-15 hits with my Bess, plus extra style points for the bayonet charge after my last shot.   :bigsmile:

Probably not considered politically correct--or safe--these days, but it was a lot of fun. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 06:25:54 PM »
Ah, I remember another shoot I was going to do... Got to the Range with my Bag & Horn... Forgot my Rifle - so I dubbed it the; F Troop Shoot...  :laffing

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 09:01:48 PM »
Long walker, you have a Bayonet for your Bess? Color me impressed! :bow

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 12:20:04 AM »
I had a bayonet for the cur-down Bess I used to have; gave it to a friend 10-12 years ago. 

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 07:39:46 PM »
WARNING!  Unmentionable firearms being mentioned!

When I was working for the Forest Service in Alaska we had to qualify with bear protection, meaning either a 12 gauge pump or .375 H7H magnum.  One year we used the Coast Guard range, which was 100 yards long with a cable system at each shooting station to run the targets out and back.  The guy running the show came up with the idea of drawing a charging bear on 3' x 4' sheets of paper, clipping them to the target holders and then start them from 25 yards zipping towards the shooter.  To qualify we had to get 3 shots into a paper plate sized target area in 10 seconds.  It was rather a challenge.

Oh, normally we posted paper plates at 25 yards and you had the 10 seconds to get 3 rounds into the plate so the above scenario added to the confusion~

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 09:01:35 PM »
Sounds challenging, but necessary I'm sure... :shake