Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Colonel Hanger's bugleman's horse  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Colonel Hanger's bugleman's horse
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 08:02:21 PM »
Is it shootable offhand for you?

Longwalker,
At 14 pounds and my age now - I'd probably strain something trying to shoot it offhand. :laffing Not that I haven't held 'er up in the offhand position to see (in the past), but it's "forward" barrel heavy with that 42 inch barrel... It's best for me to either shoot it off a Chunk, Bench, or X-Sticks - (otherwise) the Volunteer Fire Department "Rescue" siren is bound to go off...  :shake

I know quite a few Ranchers that would most likely let me pop a coyote or two with it, but I kind 'a reserve that hunting for my modern stuff.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, my Kibler Colonial arrived. 

The lock is probably the nicest modern-production lock I've ever handled.  Very nice action, reminds me of a tuned-up Chambers Delux or a Roller. 

The stock is another matter--let's just say this will be the worst piece of maple I've ever stocked a gun with. 

And dagnabbit, I forgot to make sure they sent a .54 barrel, been having nightmares that I'd somehow get a .58.  Now I have to wait til after supper to check!

I just ordered another Kibler Colonial, same .54 rifled bore and extra fancy red maple as the last one, only this time no patch box.  I will definitely try some long range with it, as the private range I attend can go past 800 yards ... I have no intentions of going beyond 400, if I can even hit that.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 10:44:04 PM »
400 yards would be interesting to try someday, but my Range only goes out to 300, and that seems like a long piece of ground to cover out and back on foot since we no longer allow any vehicles driving down Range. It's all a walking round trip now, and the older we get / the more we use the 100 yard berm... But sometimes there's some hardy souls' that make that 300 yard journey, (out & back / out & back) but not very often.   

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 06:41:31 AM »
400 yards would be interesting to try someday, but my Range only goes out to 300, and that seems like a long piece of ground to cover out and back on foot since we no longer allow any vehicles driving down Range. It's all a walking round trip now, and the older we get / the more we use the 100 yard berm... But sometimes there's some hardy souls' that make that 300 yard journey, (out & back / out & back) but not very often.

This is where I cheat by using a target camera.  :)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 09:35:06 AM »
A handy item to have for sure. I have an old spotting scope that I've used for many years, but never further than 200 yards. The trick I've found with my 200 yard spotting (with my old spotting scope) is to glue a white 8.5" x 11" sheet of white copy paper onto the center of the target(s), and my spotting scope will pickup even the little .22 dot hole out to 200 yards... In fact, the white 8.5" x 11" sheet of copy paper can stand on it's own as a target from any distance no matter what one is shooting, the old ML's, or even the tiny Rimfire pill, and anything in between.  :bl th up