Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shotguns  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Re: Shotguns
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 01:45:44 PM »
How does it shoot?

Darren

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 02:04:08 PM »
How does it shoot?

You pour powder down the barrel, ram down an over powder wad and maybe a cushion/filler wad, pour in your shot charge, ram down an over-powder wad, then you prime the pans, cock both hammers, aim at your target and pull the triggers (one at a time, preferably)....

Well, you DID ask how it shoots!   :luff:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 11:24:13 PM »
The main reason I mentioned the Pedersoli is because I cannot find a SxS flintlock, brand new, that I can afford. The few that I've been able to find started at 3K and went up from there. Hell, even the used ones that I found that were worth looking at were almost that expensive.

Darren
You could always try building one.  Prior to finding the Ketland, I'd found a percussion double that fit me OK and shot fairly well (for me--I am a lousy shotgunner).  I had planned to basically copy it, only as a late flint gun.  I was looking for barrels when I found the Ketland. 

As I recall, I traded the caplock double, the case I'd made, a Dixon powder flask and a leather Irish shot flask, and some other stuff, and some cash (~$100) for the Ketland.  I did have to do some work on it: replace the missing hammers/frizzens/frizzen springs and some other minor stuff, but all told I was in it for less than $1,000.

Given my predilection for shooting round ball from smoothbores (and my horrible wingshooting skills!) I could probably do about as well with a single-barrel gun.  Maybe I should try building a single along the lines of a British late-flint park rifle, or watch for a deal on a used Pedersoli Mortimer.