Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Am I a minority?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Am I a minority?
« on: March 19, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
I believe all of my flint lock rifles have double lever - double set triggers. I think that means I can fire the rifle with or without using the set trigger. I cannot get used to using the set trigger. I have always been a trigger squeezer. I've often read that you should be surprised when your gun fires. By using the set trigger, the light trigger pull using the front trigger, prevents me from being surprised when the gun fires. So I don't use the set trigger. Am I a minority, or are there others who feel the same as me ,and don't use the set trigger? I realize I'm sometimes dealing with a 5-6# or more trigger pull . I just lower the gun and start over if it doesn't go off the first time. Sometimes I will raise & lower the gun several times before I get it to fire.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Am I a minority?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 04:33:17 PM »
I've got them with and without set triggers / and I'll admit that I like a lite pull.

I have never wanted to be "surprised" when my firearm fires - as I want to know exactly when it will fire in the trigger pull process...  :bl th up

Many say (back in the day) that the Trade Guns were notorious for a heavy trigger pull, and the trigger itself was designed to use two fingers... Some say the big trigger was designed to accommodate someone wearing gloves - (which I don't buy into because most folks wore mittens / not single finger gloves back in those days...) The Trade Gun Locks have huge heavy pull main spring!!!

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 06:07:49 PM »
I have rifles and pistols in either configuration. I tend to like set,but after a few shots, it really doesn't matter. My un-set triggers are still pretty light.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2024
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 07:31:39 PM »
I've got them with and without set triggers / and I'll admit that I like a lite pull.

I have never wanted to be "surprised" when my firearm fires - as I want to know exactly when it will fire in the trigger pull process...  :bl th up

I agree 100% with Joe!  :hairy

Since I have NEVER had a "rock steady" hold when shooting off-hand, I like a trigger pull that will trip the sear EXACTLY when I want it to.   :bl th up  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:08:26 PM »
I'm with Ohio Joe and Rollingb. I'll take a double set trigger every time.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 08:20:01 PM »
Except for my Derringer and trade gun, all mine have set triggers whether single or double set.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 09:24:37 PM »
I have a rifle with a set trigger, not sure what that type is called but you have to set it to fire. I wish it had a regular single trigger instead. It works ok, but no better for me than a regular one. The only triggers I don't like at all are ones with "creep". That make it hard to manage.

Offline No Powder

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 09:40:32 PM »
Been there and done that Jim . Know what you mean about  creep. Well in addition to being a member of two clubs (dry ballers & ramrod shooters ), now I'm a member of three minorities (brass shiners, touch hole liner removers, and trigger squeezers). I guess I answer to a different drummer. Perhaps he should be fired.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:52 PM »
I have had several rifles with set triggers and I like them fine.
But, mainly I have rifles with just a single trigger but things internally are polished to the point where it takes little pressure to fire.  I prefer those, so I don't have to mess with setting the trigger.
I have never attached a trigger pull scale to my SMR, but with it set, it has to be maybe an one ounce trigger pull.  It is light.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 11:51:26 PM »
No Powder, I wouldn't worry about any of those clubs you say you're in, 'cause I bet many of us here have done some of those same things at one time or another. I would add that if you are comfortable with your trigger pull - don't mess with it, 'cause you seem to know your rifles really well, and how they shoot! And that's what matters most!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 12:12:15 AM »
During the years I did competitive shooting I had the set trigger set so I just applied side pressure to the front trigger and it would release, maybe 1-1 1/2oz. Of course I set it just before shooting and never when hunting.
Worked quite well for me.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline No Powder

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I sure enjoyed all the info you've shared on this trigger squeeeezzzzeee issue. You know I think I'll be learning about these front stuffers as long as I can shoot em or kick the bucket, whichever comes first.And I don't think there is a better place to learn than right here. So keep on sharing your opinions and wealth of knowledge with others who are trying to learn about this great (except the cleaning) past time . I just wish I was smart enough to build those beautiful works of art like you guys do. Then I could join in on the conversations about the building end of it. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to have one of you guys to build me a fine rifle. Y'all offer a senior citizen disc. right?

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 03:30:16 PM »
The Hodgepodge rifle had the CVA set trigger, and while I have had several of those, I never really cottoned to them.  With the Hodgepodge I ended up removing the rear trigger and polishing the internals of the lock.  Then a while back we had a discussion here and I took another look at what I could do to lighten the trigger pull.  With a little judicious filing and drilling another pivot pin hole about 1/4" back from the original hole I ended up with a very usable, light trigger pull.  I LIKE my single triggers!

~Kees~
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:45:23 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 08:06:42 PM »
LOL! I had to check my CVA Squirrel rifle! They will all fire either way.  I'm in the "I wanna know perzakly when it's gonna fire" group.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 10:08:12 PM »
Thanks guys. I sure enjoyed all the info you've shared on this trigger squeeeezzzzeee issue. You know I think I'll be learning about these front stuffers as long as I can shoot em or kick the bucket, whichever comes first.And I don't think there is a better place to learn than right here. So keep on sharing your opinions and wealth of knowledge with others who are trying to learn about this great (except the cleaning) past time . I just wish I was smart enough to build those beautiful works of art like you guys do. Then I could join in on the conversations about the building end of it. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to have one of you guys to build me a fine rifle. Y'all offer a senior citizen disc. right?

One of these days you could just build a fine rifle for yourself. “Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle” is a book that comes to mind to teach basics. Any rifle you build yourself is a “fine” rifle even if it’s a kit. It’s like a new baby, if it’s yours it’s beautiful.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman