Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Am I a minority?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Am I a minority?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:17 AM »
If you have a properly hung single trigger, you can easily have a crisp 2.5-3# trigger pull. Much preferred for a hunting gun. When I started building for North Star West, Matt called me and told me to stop making the trigger pull so good, as people weren't used to, or expected a good trigger pull on a trade gun.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »
If you have a properly hung single trigger, you can easily have a crisp 2.5-3# trigger pull. Much preferred for a hunting gun. When I started building for North Star West, Matt called me and told me to stop making the trigger pull so good, as people weren't used to, or expected a good trigger pull on a trade gun.

Would you care to do a tutorial on making a good trigger pull on a TG?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »
I normally use a set trigger for all shooting.  But I have three rifles that have front triggers that have simply very nice pulls unset.  Whether I want to know when the rifle fires or be surprised by it depends on the type of shooting I'm doing.  Back when I deer hunted about half or more of the shots were on moving animals; and they often had a habit of disappearing fast.  I often had to very quickly shoulder and fire in 2-4 seconds.  Running deer required an especially fast  response and careful aiming was sometimes impossible.

But for all other shooting it was usually aim carefully and pull the trigger just at the right instant.  But there are times when I stand a better chance of scoring if trigger break is a surprise.  That is it's difficult for me to claim one way or the other; it just depends.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2023, 07:14:32 PM »

IMO:

Set trigger = precision target shooting

Unset trigger = hunting/game shooting

YMMV  :toast

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »
Well fellows, I 'm not surprised with the difference of opinions on the trigger pull issue. I believe the squeezers are outnumbered a bit.But that's allright.If it feels good, do it. And I think squeezing feels good . Nowhere is it written in stone that either way is right, wrong, or otherwise. I'm glad Hanshi and PetahW offered their opinions and I know there are many more opinions out there. So don't worry about being in the minority, and tell us how you do it. And check out the other threads and chime in.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2023, 06:27:20 AM »
I vastly prefer a plain simple single trigger, one that pulls 2-3lbs tops.  It's all about trigger geometry with regards to the lock's sear bar ....

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2023, 10:39:42 AM »
I have single triggers on all my guns. If a single trigger is properly hung, they have a pull of around 2.5#, and are crisp. Set triggers in cold weather hunting or shooting are not a good thing, in my opinion. 

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2023, 12:44:28 PM »
 well, isn't this an epiphany?  Where's that damn Pedersoli of mine? the one with the 8# pull! I've got work to do now that I know what I'm doing!!

Thanks for a clear picture of the geometry, Rob!!

:yessir:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2023, 07:32:10 PM »
On a previous re-build, the previous owner installed a set of double set triggers and a new lock.  If/when I get around to re-building it, the rifle will get the lock replaced with a flintlock, and the triggers returned to just a plain ol' trigger.  Set triggers have lost much of their attraction for me over the years. 

Now that I think about it, I also need to plan on replacing those stupid tacks that look like flowers, and replace the cheekpiece inlay (currently a 1900s silver dollar won as a prize in a state match long ago, by someone I never knew).

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 08:04:10 PM »
The T-C Pennsylvania Hunter I now have came to me bedecked with tacks, albeit small, round-headed tacks.  I used diagonal cutters to pull them but still had the problem of filling the holes where the tacks had been.  I used the clothes iron over a damp wash cloth to close them up (partially successful) but the filler didn't work out too well.  So, if you look for them they are visible, but not too bad.  No other inlays so I'm good to go.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025