Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite caliber and gun for woodswalks?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Favorite caliber and gun for woodswalks?
« on: April 02, 2023, 09:39:46 AM »
To those who regularly shoot woodswalks,
Which caliber do you like best for woodswalks?
Also, what is your woodswalk gun?

And why?

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Favorite caliber and gun for woodswalks?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 10:29:59 AM »
I guess I would have to say a .54.
For an all around caliber, I think it fulfills about everything I would want.
For over 25 years, I was vacillating between .62 and .72 calibers but since I have sold those, the .54 really has taken their place.  Besides, some clubs don't favor the big bore guns, they are afraid the big boomers will damage their targets.  Interestingly enough, the only time I ever broke a target was with a .54.  Go figure...
I have had so many rifles, one would have to have a date qualifier for what is my woodswalk gun.  Currently, it is a T/C PA Hunter that has been bored out from .50 to .54 caliber and is being updated from flintlock to percussion.  I am really looking forward to that improvement.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 11:15:55 AM »
I haven't been on a woodswalk since I left Oregon in 1992, but in my perambulations here on the Wayne National Forest I often carry my .45 caliber "Hodgepodge" rifle.  It is so named because it is a mixture of parts.  It started out as a Deer Creek kit (CVA Mountain Rifle, actually) with a slimmed down stock.  Then I had Captchee install a new Colerain barrel on it, and I changed the trigger guard out for a Leman from Track of the Wolf and added a patch box.  It weighs a little over 7 pounds and is a joy to carry.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 11:35:57 AM »
Smokey that is a good question, and for me a hard one to answer. I have several rifles I use, but the weather does help me to decide which one to take . We just had our first woods walk last Sunday. I took my old TC Renegade in 50 cal. and I only hit 7 out of 12. Perhaps I should consider using a different rifle next time. I have had some good shoots with that rifle too. So I would say that my 50 cal  Renegade is probably my favorite rifle to use on our woods walks.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 12:58:54 PM »
I prefer the .54 as it hits our steel targets with authority.  We use 3/8" steel targets of various shapes, and some of them require the target to be knocked over in order to score.  I vary which gun I use depending on the weather and the length of the walk.  For wettish weather I use my Hirsh Leman caplock or my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.  For dry days I choose a flint lock either a custom Pennsylvania long rifle or my Kern Jaeger.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 01:02:32 PM »
For me doing a woods walk at a Rondy is my old 54 Lyman GPR, dang this is a tack driver, shoots way better than I can see anymore, if I'm doing a serious woods walk IE hunting here in the wet side or Washington State it's my old TC Renegade in 54, stock was put on a diet a dozen or so years ago and lock polished making it REAL fast, and I cut 2 inches of the barrel, comes up quick and swings fairly well in the brushy jungle we hunt for Elk and Deer in here, considering most of my kills have been 50 yards or less that shortened barrel is not a factor. Shes an ugly old girl, but she sure does shine when it's time to work!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline No Powder

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 04:38:30 PM »
Hey Smokey,  don't keep us in suspense for ever.I think we all  would like to know what your choices are too. Sounds like  a lot of love for Renegades. I bet you would like to use one of those also.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 06:37:48 PM »
Well, over at Chadron Fur Trade Days (the only place I can recall ever doing woods walks) I'd continue to go with my .45, but nothing less... (the reason) Some folks used .32's, .36's, and .40 caliber rifles - and they couldn't topple some of the heavier metal animal silhouettes with those smaller calibers, and to be honest - I aimed high on the metal to topple the ones I shot at with my .45...

So, it depends on (IMHO) on what will be required to be done during a woods walk / and usually you're not going to know if you have enough rifle or not, until you're doing the woods walk...

Ideally, IMHO - a .50 caliber would no doubt serve you the best as a minimum caliber, but the .54 is probably the one to bank on.

Just my opinion...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 07:17:59 PM »
I used to shoot .40cal but lost too many points because I couldn't knock some targets down. So now I usually shoot the last .50 flinter I built until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. Then build another (usually Bucks Co.).
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline No Powder

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 07:33:33 PM »
Those targets that have to be knocked over can be frustrating with a small cal. But I have trouble hearing those tanks when hit by a small ball. Even with a 50 or 54 , with my hearing loss, I sometimes have to rely on others to tell me if I hit the tank . Especially if they're about 120yds. away. Those tanks are the biggest reason I like larger calibers. Don't graze those tanks. Hit them in the dead center. Make em ring.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 07:14:45 AM »
.54 flintlock rifle, my go-to long rifle.

I built this one and sold it, building another ... for ME.   8)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Smoothbores are real nice, too, this is a .54 ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online KDubs

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 10:00:30 AM »
.54 for me too.
 Mainly cuz it's the only rifle I have pre 1840.
 I was the top shooter with it this past weekend woods walk at my club.
 I'm using 75 grs 2f , so it can eat up some powder on a long walk.
 Probably why folks try smaller calibers. I imagine.
 Go big or go home  :bigsmile:
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
Go big or go home  :bigsmile:

Good advice, Kevin, but the CdA Muzzleloaders has a .60 caliber limit.  So, whatcha gonna do?

I'm using 75 grs 2f , so it can eat up some powder on a long walk.

Well, two ways you can alleviate that problem.  1)  Get a bigger power horn.  2)  Carry a spare can of powder with you.  At 75 grains per shot, you are using 1500 grains for a 20 shot match.  That's not quite a quarter of a pound.  No big deal.

I was the top shooter with it this past weekend woods walk at my club.

Congrats on that.  Good shooting, especially if some of the guys from Sandpoint came down for the shoot.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 11:02:03 AM »
With a .54 bore flintlock, or any bore size for that matter, I'll always load with 3F (Swiss). 

Woods walks rarely go less than 50yds or so, and 50 grains of 3F is flat shooting and accurate with a patched .530 ball.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 12:23:43 PM »
Our woods walks usually run around 20 shots.  Metal gongs are used for targets at 50+ yards.  About 1/3 of the targets are less than 50 yards and they are usually biodegradable targets like ritz crackers, potatoes, charcoal briquets, carrots and eggs.  You need a rifle that is accurate for some of these targets yet still have the ability to knock down or ring  a steel gong.  I usually shoot a .54 with 70 grains of 3f, but on some shoots I will use a .50 with 60grains of 3f.  The moving targets are the hardest for me to hit.  We have a running squirrel at 30 yards, a running boar at 45 yards, a pendulum at 30 yards and a flying tennis ball at 30 yards.  Our running shots must be taken with the gun at port arms.  When you call for the target you must mount the gun and draw back the hammer (cock) to shoot.