Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Red droplets  (Read 1362 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Red droplets
« on: April 28, 2023, 10:42:12 AM »
Several years ago I was reloading my flint lock for my next shot .Just before dumping my powder down the barrel, I noticed several small red drops on the inside of my barrel . Not being the sharpest tack in the pack, I asked one of the other shooters if he could explain. He said when you find the optimum load for your rifle, the barrel will bleed like that. He had me scratching my head. I notice this phenomenon often, and always when shooting my favorite load in whatever rifle I'm using. Yesterday I was experimenting with Scheutzen  powder , and noticed the drops again. Once again I had decided this load was my favorite load  for this rifle. Is the explanation I received correct, or is some other explanation? Inquiring minds want to know.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
Re: Red droplets
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 02:57:29 PM »
No Po - that was your rifle crying blood because you skipped a beat and shot a 9, rather than an X or a 10! You shouldn't let your rifle down like that.  :luff:
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »
Tom, are you joking?  You sure you ain't bleeding somewhere?

Online cwgrizz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 06:29:21 PM »
I'd heard the same thing years ago about the bleeding barrel, but never saw it in person or knew of anyone personally that had it happen.  Just had heard it around the campfires of the internet.

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 06:53:42 PM »
I hope I don't run afoul of the moderators, but on another ML forum, that I won't identify, the same question was posed a day or two ago. Several knowledgeable people said it's produced by the burning of Sulphur when atmospheric moisture is optimal for its creation. Sometimes it is seen in the pan, other times near the muzzle. I've never seen it; I'm too busy remembering to complete the sequence of powder, patch, ball, cap.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 07:10:55 PM »
I remember seeing happen occasionally years ago.  Like when GOEX was made in Moosic, PA, ago.
Who, what or why, I dunno.   But happen it did.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 07:25:42 PM »
I knew there was a reason I carry a few Band Aids in my belt bag. But they are for me,not the gun. Whoever heard of putting Band Aids on a smokepole.
Well then , I guess that info concerning optimum load is not true.

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 08:30:16 PM »
I've only seen this in the bore or pan a few times.  It seems to be a combination of the optimum load of the right powder, under the right conditions (maybe the right temp/humidity).  I've not seen it in a heavily-fouled bore or with certain powders. 

Funny thing is I've seen it more-often with certain loads in my trapdoors . . . which sorta makes me wonder if pressure or bore diameter are additional variables?

I have noticed "red berries" on fired patches a few timess, but maybe that happens more-often than we suspect--how often do you grab fired patches right after you shoot?

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »
In about 70 years of messing with smokepoles I've never seen or heard of such a thing as red droplets/residue/whatever associated with muzzleloaders.  But clearly there is such a thing.  Be interesting to find the actual cause.

Offline KDubs

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 08:56:18 PM »
Funny this came up.
 I'm at the David Thompson rendezvous days in eureka Montana.
 Shooting today I noticed not drops but small streaks of rusty red in the grooves near the muzzle.
 Favorite load of 75gr 2f. Hit 20 outta 22.
  Never noticed this before and now I'm reading about it. Hmmm
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline No Powder

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 08:58:33 PM »
I can't make my believe everything about humidity, atmospheric conditions having to be just right for this to happen. I believe if I were talking to a young person interested in smokepoles, and he asked about those red dots in the barrel, I would have to tell him he was doing something right. I think I probably could show you those drops every time I go shooting.

Offline No Powder

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 09:02:01 PM »
Kevin, you can't beat red residue in the barrel and 20out of 22. Fine job buddy.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 10:52:48 PM »
Don't know why it happens, but I've had it quite a number of times.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 11:17:24 PM »
I've seen it a few times, and that was only with Goex Powder (which I use 99% of the time). I've not seen it happen (that I can recall) with other black powders I've use over the the years, such as (Elephant and Meteor),,, so my uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the products used in the "making" process. (Maybe the wood)? It's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. Humidity might also play a part in it? :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2023, 04:42:22 AM »
I’ve been shooting these things since Christ was just a corporal, and I haven’t ever seen it, or heard of anything like this, until right now!
I suspect the new wisdom nowadays is just “shoot ‘em till they bleed” and your rifle is good to go….
I’m thinking that blood must be coming from something other than that riffle barrel, but that’s just me.

Russ.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4