Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Remington Navy models

(1/3) > >>

Jim in Wisconsin:
Does anyone know if the original Remington 36 cal. Navy New Model revolvers had a smaller frame than the 44's? If so, how much smaller and where was it reduced? I would think not the grip part, that is already sort of little for most people's hands. I have a new Uberti navy and it has (or sure seems to have) the same frame as my old 44 Uberti.
I would like to think the reproductions are a copy of the originals, but maybe that's not the case.
Did the U.S. Navy actually buy 36 caliber revolvers or is that just a name that's applied to them? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to buy a different size gun - actually what would the Navy use revolvers for anyway?
Just wondering on a cold, rainy day.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Jim in Wisconsin on April 29, 2023, 09:11:35 PM ---Does anyone know if the original Remington 36 cal. Navy New Model revolvers had a smaller frame than the 44's? If so, how much smaller and where was it reduced? I would think not the grip part, that is already sort of little for most people's hands. I have a new Uberti navy and it has (or sure seems to have) the same frame as my old 44 Uberti.
I would like to think the reproductions are a copy of the originals, but maybe that's not the case.
Did the U.S. Navy actually buy 36 caliber revolvers or is that just a name that's applied to them? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to buy a different size gun - actually what would the Navy use revolvers for anyway?
Just wondering on a cold, rainy day.

--- End quote ---

Jim, this link gives an explanation of the reasoning behind Army and Navy Revolvers; (You'll have to scroll down to; Exploring the Weapons of the Army and Navy

https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/army-revolvers-vs-navy-revolvers

Jim in Wisconsin:
Thanks Joe, some good information there.

Winter Hawk:
Agreed on the article, but it speaks to the Colt revolvers, where your original post asks about the Remingtons.  Hopefully someone can come up with information about them also.

Thanks for the link, Joe.  Another thing i have read, and I can't substantiate it, is that the Navy was named that because of the roll stamp on the cylinder depicting the naval battle of Campeche.

~Kees~

Jim in Wisconsin:
I ordered two books  -
Remington Army and Navy Revolvers by Donald L. Ware
Remington Handguns by Charles Lee Karr
Haven't gotten them yet but I think they are going to be helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version