Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: estimating velocity  (Read 2289 times)

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: estimating velocity
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2023, 09:13:26 AM »
I bought my chrono years ago, like 20, for archery and bow tuning.
 Ill be trying it on my front stuffer today.  I'll let ya know .
 needs to be atleast 15 ft in front of ya, I saw a post somewhere for making baffles to stand up in front of the chrono to protect it from the blast.  not sure thats necessary at 15 ft.  guess we will see......
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2023, 03:17:27 PM »
My chrony is 28 years old now, a gift from my Sweetie.  I tried it with my muzzle loader and got over 17,000 fps!  I thought the patch right behind the bullet made for the erroneous reading.  That was at 10' from the muzzle.  What John suggests about putting attaching paper to the frame is great!  You could make an aiming point on the paper so the ball would not hit the chronograph.  Good idea, John!
 :hairy
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2023, 06:06:54 PM »
...  What John suggests about putting attaching paper to the frame is great!  You could make an aiming point on the paper so the ball would not hit the chronograph.

Ya need to be VERY CAREFUL with where to aim with regards to "screen" type chronos - too many folks aim either dead center or low and wind up trashing the chrono.  At such a short distance 'tween muzzle and chrono, bullet POI will be LOW, sometimes drastically low, ask me how I know this ....

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2023, 06:27:49 PM »
One day I was chrono testing a 2 bore rifle, the projectile weighed 3,500+/- grains and we were starting out at about 350 grains of Fg Goex.  The chrono was set about 20 feet ahead of us and I was shooting it offhand.
I must admit, I was a bit intimidated by this behemoth and pulled down a tad as I pulled the trigger.  Well, maybe more than a tad, as the bullet hit the darn chrono and destroyed it.  Hah, it took a while for all the pieces to hit the ground.
I should have fired it once to get the feel of it before shooting over the chrono, but I was in a hurry and as a result,  severely mutilated it.  Oh well, live and learn.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 04:42:30 PM »
Ya need to be VERY CAREFUL with where to aim with regards to "screen" type chronos - too many folks aim either dead center or low and wind up trashing the chrono.  At such a short distance 'tween muzzle and chrono, bullet POI will be LOW, sometimes drastically low, ask me how I know this ....
That is why I suggested putting an aiming point on the paper, so a person doesn't shoot too low and destroy the chronograph.

And John, I can't even imagine the recoil of 350 grains of Fg pushing a 3500 grain projectile!  How is your shoulder now, after all the years of punishment you gave it?  :o

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 08:03:10 PM »
And John, I can't even imagine the recoil of 350 grains of Fg pushing a 3500 grain projectile!  How is your shoulder now, after all the years of punishment you gave it?  :o

Surprisingly enough, the right shoulder is doing OK, considering, as you put it, all the years of punishment.
Sorry to say, however, that the left shoulder is the one bothering me, rotator cuff ripped and arthritis and bursitis diagnosed and treating it with shots.  Plus tendonitis in the left elbow.  Them "itis" brothers seem to be out to get me.  Oh well, I guess they are right when they say that getting old ain't for sissies.  ;banghead;

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2023, 08:43:38 PM »
That is why I suggested putting an aiming point on the paper, so a person doesn't shoot too low and destroy the chronograph.

~Kees~

No, that might spell disaster because at 10ft to 15ft or so there can be a Huge difference 'tween bore sight and actual sight ... and this WILL happen with long guns that sport high sights.  Been there, didn't do the bore sight, bullseye into the chrono face.  In the best of worlds it's bore sight that should be employed with all screen chrono's.  Easy to do with any long gun that can have an open breech (bolt, break open, etc), difficult for muzzleloaders and other "closed breech" guns.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 02:50:36 PM »
I was looking in in the back of my 2023 Dixie catalog the other day and noticed an article on estimating bullet velocity.  I think the Lyman handbook with empirical data is probably more accurate but this is another source for "guesstimating" how your loads are doing.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 03:13:13 PM »
Sticking in one of those muzzle bore lasers will quickly show where the bbl needs to be pointed at the chrono.