Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cleaning the Fusil-de-chasse  (Read 1433 times)

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
Cleaning the Fusil-de-chasse
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
My fusil-de-chasse is the first new gun I have purchased.  As a result, I am not quite sure what I need to do order to keep it clean while still "seasoning" it.

When I come home from shooting I always give a gun as thorough a cleaning as I can.  To wit:

1.  Scrub the bore with a plug of tow impregnated with water and a little bore cleaner (TOTW); I push the plug in with the wiping stick and pull it out by a string.  (The touchhole is first sealed with a toothpick).  I do this a couple of times, washing the black off my tow with fresh water and my fingers.

2.  Fill the barrel several times with hot water, shake it back and forth, and repeat until the water pours out all clean.

3.   Dry the bore with a double-patched cleaning jag until no trace of black remains and I have a clean patch.  Set gun in corner to dry, muzzle down.    In the meantime I clean the lock and the outside of the barrel with a wet patch, then dry.  If it is determined gunk yet inside, I add some Ballistol and water on a wet patch, and then dry again till clean.

4. Dry-swab again. Finish by running an oiled patch of Ballistol down the bore on the cleaning jag.

Now, my problems are these:

A.  I bought a bore scraper recently.  I noticed that when I tried using it in the corner of the breech-end bore, I got a bit of black gunk off the blade, maybe the size of a round-headed sewing pin. This is AFTER I got a clean patch from the gun. I imagine the stuff is stuck in the corner between the bore and the breech plug  and my patches are not getting absolutely EVERYTHING, although I doubt it is very acidic after all that washing.  Is there anything I am doing wrong, and how often should I use the bore scraper?

B.  I notice two kinds of residue in my gun barrel.  The first is the blue-black-green gunk, which I believe to be fouling.  I clean that out as described above until my dry patches come out clean.  The second type is that which I notice, when after getting a clean patch before oiling the gun, the oiling patch ( pure Ballistol) comes out with a bit of warm brown color.  I notice it again when I take the gun out the next day to shoot and run a dry patch to remove excess oil before shooting. The brown marks feel and smell of oil; I smell no sulpherous scent as I do on what I know is fouling.   I don't think it IS fouling - the color is wrong:  is this  the "seasoning" people talk about? Is it RUST!!!?????   Do I have a problem?  Should I be doing anything different?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Gratefully,
WhiteBlanket
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:58:21 PM by WhiteBlanket »
TMA Member No. 316

Etienne de la Haye dit Sansquartier
Marchand des Vins et Eaux-de-Vie

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
From the little bit I have used ballistol, I don't think you can clean the bore enough that a ballistol patch will not come out with some brown on it. I don't know that it is removing the seasoning, but it sure picks up something...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
plug touch-hole...fill barrel with water(I use it right from the tap or crick)-let it sit for "awhile"...dump it, a few patches to clean, lube it with bear grease..done
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
So I suppose I am just being obsessive-compulsive and neurotic about all this? :lol:
TMA Member No. 316

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
WhiteBlanket, the only thing I might add is that I've found it of use to fold up a cleaning patch with cleaner on it (water or what ever) and push it down the barrel to the breach.  Then I put the breach scraper on my cleaning rod and run it down the barrel.  At this point you may want to remove the plug from the touch hole.  I then rotate the rod and patch.  The blade on the scraper does a good job of holding the wadded up patch and rotates it against the breach face and the inside of barrel.  I then remove the patch with my patch puller.  If there is a lot of stuff on the patch I may do it again.  After I've dried the barrel with patches I perform the same action with a dry patch.   :hey-hey  :toast  

Keep throw'n that lead. :hairy
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:23:12 AM »
Couple times a year I'll use a bottoming brush on the face of the breach just to make myself feel better :)
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
I use one of them to. :)
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline The Baron

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
Thanks for starting this WhiteBlanket... this has been helpful to me, as I had some of the same questions.  I use Ballistol and always get a little of that brownish color on the patches, even after I am quite certain the bore is "clean".  I used to worry about it, then I stopped because I figured there's no way it can be rust when the bore is coated with Ballistol (I always give it a good wiping with a Ballistol soaked patch for storage).
You can't be a leader if you don't know where you are going.

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
My pleasure.  I am a rank beginner in many ways,and if I ask a question, however stupid, i always get a kind and sensible answer here.
TMA Member No. 316

Offline Flint62Smoothie

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: #260 Exp.11/17/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
plug touch-hole...fill barrel with water(I use it right from the tap or crick)-let it sit for "awhile"...dump it

I do this too and White Feather, I would change your routine so you do this a few times, then use the breech scaper, and then tend to the bore.  Works for me!  

And Riley's dead on about Ballistol, I may never get sparrkly white clean patches, but definitely no rust or corrosion from it either.  I like the stuff ... and dare I say ... I'm 'almost' getting used to the smell!  Still, it doesn't smell as good as the old Hoppe's when it had benzine in it!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into a ragged ~1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd or other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
Ballistol is good stuff but smells like horse urine!  I don't know if I will ever get used to it.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »
What is Ballistol? Does it contain any petroluem products?
 Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline Craig Tx

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Member #332
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
I don't think it does.