Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What kind of lock  (Read 623 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
What kind of lock
« on: April 26, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »
A friend of mine just had his rifle fall over while cleaning. One of several unfortunate things that happened was the frozen broke. After checking several places his hasn't had any luck in finding a new frizzen. He told me it was a Dixie Tennessee Mt. Rifle. I told him L&R made a replacement lock for that rifle. He is checking on that as we speak. Did I tell him wrong, and does anybody know what kind of lock would be on that rifle. Even if he gets a replacement lock, maybe he could find a frizzen  to repair the old one. Someone told him the lock was a Shultz? lock. Not sure about the spelling or pronunciation of that lock.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge/'20-'23 Postal Competitor
Re: What kind of lock
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:31:04 PM »
If he's looking for a RH lock, he can get one (KR-04-F) from TOTW. $245.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline No Powder

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
I think he was calling Log Cabin Shop. I think their current price is $215. It fell twice, and the one fall broke the stock. It is glued and clamped ,and waiting for the glue to completely dry. He had 2 bad shoots and now this. I feel for him.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 07:19:53 PM »
Seems if your friend had an inline action in a metal stock, he could drop it to his heart's desire.  :bigsmile:
As strange as it may seem, I saw something like that many years ago in a slug gun match.  Probably one of the ugliest rifles I have ever encountered.  Although, it did seem to shoot pretty well.  I think it was painted bright red.
I guess the takeaway here is to be sure of where you lean your rifle.  It might cost some $$$.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 08:23:29 PM »
That's a big 10-4 John. This guy has forgotten more about muzzleloaders than I'll ever know. And  he has won a lot of awards for shooting throughout the years. I believe he has been told now, that is a Manton lock. He needs a left handed lock, so no L&R replacement lock . I believe someone at L&R told him if he sends them the lock they will fabricate a frizzen for him. The balls in his court.
Didn't Clay Smith make some of those red and blue trade rifles?