Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Change of poi.  (Read 695 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Change of poi.
« on: May 03, 2023, 09:46:59 AM »
I have my 50 cal. GPR shot in for 490 cast balls from a Rapine bag mold. When I shoot 490 cast balls from a Lyman dc mold, the poi is approx. 1-1/2"  lower than the Rapines group. Could a weight difference of maybe, 2 grains cause this or is there something else going on. The sprue has been removed, and all the balls have been rolled and weighed. Groups were shot at 50yds.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Change of poi.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 05:15:30 PM »
Measure to see if one is more round than the other.

Offline No Powder

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 09:38:32 PM »
Well I tried doing some measuring. These balls measured about as close as factory swaged balls, with the exception of one spot. I must explain something first. When I roll cast balls,I always keep track of where the sprue was. When I'm done rolling, I always put a small dot where the sprue was.That spot gets loaded up just as though there was still sprue  there. There, is the only place where I am detecting any difference in diameter. I wouldn't think that would be any different than if there was sprue there.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 09:19:31 AM »
I have found a difference of 2-3 grains in ball weight will affect accuracy and POI.  I now weigh all the balls I cast.  For calibers 45, 36 & 32, I put back into the pot all balls that vary more than 1/2 grain from the average weight.  For the larger calibers greater than .45, I only keep the balls that are within 1.0 grain of the average weight.  I have found in my guns that a difference of 3 grains in weight has changed the point of impact as much as 3" at 50 yards.  I am not a target shooter, but 3" is a significant change when shooting at game.

Offline No Powder

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 12:22:03 PM »
Well Craig ,you might be right. I never thought the gun or I could shoot well enough to tell a difference in a couple of grains difference in weight. But I might have to pay a little bit closer attention.