Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mutton tallow shelf life  (Read 1054 times)

Offline gmoodyii

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #781
  • TMA Member: Expiration date: 5/20/2021
Mutton tallow shelf life
« on: May 15, 2023, 06:51:51 PM »
I have not been able to go out and exercise my guns in a while. But just noticed my tallow is discolored.
Only thing I can imagine is mold. This lamb tallow is over a year old but its fat, and fat does not go bad or so I thought.
It would be easy enough to drive up to Dixie Gun Works and get some more but is there something I could do to this?
Maybe melt it back down to kill whatever contaminates might be mixed in with it?
Or just throw it out and get some fresh?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Mutton tallow shelf life
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 04:41:57 PM »
I'd use it as it is, but that's just me.  I think it's just discolored because of temperature changes. Maybe as you say, melt it down if you're worried about it.  Or, you can mail it to ME!  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 07:56:18 PM »
Mutton tallow generally doesn't spoil easily if at all, not like some other tallows and greases.  If it did spoil a bit, no big deal, yer patches and balls won't mind it a bit.

I have 3lbs of mutton tallow left that I got from Dixie Gun Works about 6 years ago, packaged in translucent plastic LDPE containers and the tallow looks to be okay.  I use it to make GatoFeo #1 lube for ball patches, melted along with pure beeswax and canning wax, then rubbed into strips of cotton patching cloth and either melted in with a heat gun or left out in the sun.  The result is a bit harder lube that doesn't rub off onto everything like pure tallow does, and I roll up the patch strips and pin a strip onto the strap of my shooting bag for easier use during gun loading.  I keep the tubs of mutton tallow in the dark, stored in a cool basement.

Offline Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 02:29:00 PM »
I still have two pounds left that I got in 2005. It's on the back of the bottom shelf of the fridge. Still as white as ever. I don't think I'd use it for cooking but it's still good for lube.  I's say go for it, patches don't get tummy aches.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline gmoodyii

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #781
  • TMA Member: Expiration date: 5/20/2021
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 10:08:02 AM »
Awesome responses!!  THANKS!
I also have two of the same containers of tallow I got from Dixie years ago that I have been using and they are pure white with no discoloring.
I did talk to one of the ladies and she said instead of mutton tallow the newer containers were lambs tallow. I asked her what the difference was and she said mutton is from an older animal and lambs was from, uh a lamb.
I will reheat just for my own sanity. I will do it outside so my house does not smell like a petting zoo! :)

THANKS AGAIN!!!