Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Got rawhide?  (Read 1579 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Got rawhide?
« on: June 03, 2023, 04:05:12 PM »
Would anyone know a source for a small piece, maybe 10"x10" and 1/8 to 3/16 thick of rawhide? I'd like to try my hand at wetting the hide, forming it, and letting it dry to fashion a petunk. All my online research, Tandy, etc., offers larger pieces at about $30. And completed petunks are about double that. Much too $$$ for a wild hair project. AFAIK tanned leather won't form and harden near as well as rawhide.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Got rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 04:12:47 PM »

What's a "petunk"?  :)

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »
I figured that would be the #1 reply!   :)  I never heard of or saw one until I went to the Grassy Run, mini rondy, in Goshen, OH a few weeks ago. A petunk is a hard leather bottle shaped container with a wooden stopper. It's used to carry and dispense balls. My idea is to first buy a pocket flask of my fav whisky, enjoy that, and then use the bottle to form the wet rawhide around it in a clamshell. After drying and removing the glass, it would just be some punching, stitching, and then strap and stopper making. Voila, petunk, slam dunk! (sorry, I couldn't help myself).
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 05:19:58 PM »
I guess I've made dozens of "petunks" over the years and didn't even know it.  :bl th up  :laffing

I use wet rawhide to form a pouch and fill it with sand until it dries, then I dump the sand out and carve a plug to use as a "stopper".
I've got these made up to hold round balls, as well as shot.  :)

I've never bought a small piece of rawhide so I can't help you regarding that, as I buy whole hides.
Rawhide is VERY useful for many many things.  :bl th up  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 06:59:36 PM »
I'd try a local arts and crafts store, i.e Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They often have small pieces of leather for projects.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:17:37 PM »
That's a good thought, but our local Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores, as well as the local native American shop, just have tanned, supple leather pieces. I expected that most stores would have the nice leather for sale but didn't expect that the less processed raw leather would not only be hard to find but also would have a higher price tag. Maybe I ought to rethink this. I can buy a plastic pocket-sized bottle of hooch, drink it, cover it with a piece of tanned leather, refill it with booze, as needed, and continue to use a screw top pill bottle for the lead balls.   :P  That might be a win-win solution as long as I don't drink and drive or drink and shoot!   :o  Before someone gets concerned, I'm just kidding.  :laffing

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 08:55:50 PM »
Depending on the size of the bottle shape you want.... an extra large rawhide bone for dogs may work, they're pretty cheap, drop it in a bucket of water for a couple 3 days, then peel it apart, take the pieces you want to use  and staple them to a board so they dry flat and your off and running, regular 6/8 oz veg tan leather works very well for ball bags, i have made 300+ using veg tan and it holds form very well, can always be jacked to be made harder.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 10:24:36 PM »
Beaverman beat me to the punch  :toast; I too suggest going to the pet section at your favorite box store and pick up an extra large rawhide dog chewy.  One of my neighbors does that on a regular basis for self bow handle wraps.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 10:09:22 AM »
Beaverman, Winter Hawk, and No Powder all have suggested the dog bone, so I started soaking one yesterday. I bought a white one w/o the knots at the ends. I have unrolled it and it appears to be smooth and of uniform thickness and more than large enough if I cut it properly. Time will tell if my princely $3.79 cash outlay can be turned into something resembling the $50 petunks. If successful, I'll post some pics.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 11:27:37 AM »
 :hairy
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 03:54:02 PM »
Thanks PetahW, if the dog let's me down I'll try the goat. At this point in time I have the hide formed and clamped around a liquor flask that I remembered was a gift from many moons ago. It is drying in the sun and appears to be taking shape as I had hoped. Time will tell.

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Got rawhid
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 12:50:29 PM »
The petunk project turned out to my satisfaction. I recently read that rawhide was the native American and early settlers kydex, and that sure is true. When that soaked dog chew dried it became amazingly hard and stiff. The attached pics tell most of the story of how it was made. If the stopper strongly resembles a champagne cork, there's a reason for that. BTW, after it dried and I removed the flask, I used a 1/16" bit to drill holes for the stitching. It would have been impossible to do it any other way. Thanks to the guys who suggested the dog chew.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 09:02:13 PM »

Well done ! !  :hairy    :bow   :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 10:16:04 PM »
Well, that explains how you got the bottle out!  I had visions of it being one piece wrapped around the bottle, and wondered how you were going to remove the form.  Definitely well done as PetahW put it!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025