Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Poor ignition with T-C PA Hunter

(1/5) > >>

Winter Hawk:
I replaced the sights on my T-C Pennsylvania Hunter with lower ones, because the comb of the stock felt too low with the existing sights.  Today was a non-rain day for a change so off I went to the range to shoot my June postal shoot target, using said rifle.  I took a couple of sighter shots and the new sights were good for windage but I need to lower the front a bit.

Holding at the top of the black on the target worked pretty well; ignition was very erratic.  I replaced the flint with a new, French amber one but getting the gun to go off was spotty at best.  The sparks were pretty anemic, not many and red rather than a nice bright yellow.  I think I'll replace the frizzen with one from RMC Ox-Yoke, which has Lyman frizzens modified for T-C.  They claim these will spark better than the T-C; we'll see.  Unfortunately they are out of stock at present.  I called up and they hope to have them in in the next 3 months....

I would try Kasinit to harden it but that is no longer available.  Brownell's has their own surface hardening compound and I may get a jar of that to try.  It would cost about the same as buying a new frizzen.  Or should I try collecting bones and barbecue the frizzen with them in a tightly closed can?

Frustrating!

~Kees~

Bigsmoke:
Hmmm... Usually the T/C locks spark pretty good.  Not sure what to say.
But the RPL replacement percussion lock works just wonderfully.  Shot a 23 shot trailwalk with our updated PA Hunter with the percussion lock on it.  23 shots, 23 caps used.
The same cannot be said for the RPL flintlock.  After about 15 hammer falls with a fresh black English flint, (I think it went off like 3 times) I decided to put a French amber in it.  That brought the ignition factor up to it "going boom" about every other hammer fall.  I just loves these darn flintlocks.  Yeah, right!
John (Bigsmoke)

BEAVERMAN:
Kees, bones alone won't do it, you need fine ground hardwood charcoal, burnt and ground bones or leather, and some graphite helps a bunch, if you have a coal forge you can get the crucible hot enough, if not, it's into a very hot wood fire for a min of 6 hours, be very careful when releasing the crucible cover to quench as the graphite may flash like black powder ( don't ask me how I know this), you'll play hell trying to find a replacement TC frizzen, does L&R still make a drop in rock lock for these?

Ohio Joe:
Jim's right about the L&R Replacement Lock. They are running $245.00 (shipping not included) and Track of the Wolf does have them in stock / last I checked. The question becomes; is the cost of a replacement lock worth the money? Personally I can't see where it is, so you've nothing to lose by doing the leather wrap in the can route IMHO, but I've never done this so again - I would listen to Beaverman.  :shake

dmarsh:
Kees, they are in stock at Midway.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002257266   :bl th up :hairy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version