Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Blackening stuff.

(1/3) > >>

KDubs:
 Well my kibler arrived today and I of course I sit here at work argh.
 Anyway, I've been thinking about having a black lock on this cherry stock.
 Don't want paint or powder coat, something more traditional.
 Read some info on heat beeswax and linseed oil.
 Wondering if any of y'all have tried such a thing or if there are betters ways to get a deep black. As for the brass, I'm Assuming I'll just use brass black.
Kevin

BEAVERMAN:
https://www.amazon.com/JAX-Iron-Steel-Nickel-Blackener/dp/B06XGQGC61/ref=sr_1_6?crid=GVK5PENFYOGB&keywords=jax+black+patina&qid=1690503413&sprefix=jax+blac%2Caps%2C1036&sr=8-6

Have not used this, I'm going to French gray the steel on mine, expect to see some unboxing pics, still sitting here with Carly Simon playing in my head!

KDubs:
Oh beav you're so vain.. Sorry only Carly Simon song I know.
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
 Here's the lock. I have seen some locks that look stove pipe black.  That's what I'm looking for.  Think iron I guess.
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
Heres the whole shooting iron. The cherry stock is really nice.
 Won't start on it for a couple more days. Tomorrow night if I'm lucky, I may get a few swipes with a file in.
 Looking forward to your build too.
Kevin

BEAVERMAN:
Nope the Carly Simon song title is Anticipation!, been busy since back from Rondy, Mama says I have to complete the first page of her honey do list before I can play with the rifle! Man she knows how to get what she wants, oh well, if Mama aint happy.......

PetahW:

FWIW, I found that cold blue will turn most brass black in a New York Minute - provided, any protective clear lacquer coating is removed prior to application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version