Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: AUGUST POSTAL TARGETS  (Read 1314 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: AUGUST POSTAL TARGETS
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »
I hope all you guys who shoot those rock locks made note of the fact that every one of the shooters, including Alvin York, was savvy enough to use a caplock!
Yessiree, I did notice that which surprised me.  Years ago, don't ask how many, there was an article about Alvin York in one of the NRA publications, probably American Rifleman.  In it was a photo of him aiming a m/l rifle off to the right of the camera, and I seem to remember it was a flintlock.  But age and the passing of time may have clouded my memory....  ::)

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 05:34:33 PM »
Well, in all fairness, WH, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the 1940 movie industry, especially since WWII was occuring, didn't check to see what rifle types were actually used. Their prop room most likely had a pile of caplocks, so that's what they chose. My comment about cap over flint usage was in jest.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 08:34:47 PM »
Well, in all fairness, WH, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the 1940 movie industry, especially since WWII was occuring, didn't check to see what rifle types were actually used. Their prop room most likely had a pile of caplocks, so that's what they chose. My comment about cap over flint usage was in jest.

It would have been nice if they'd of had some flintlock rifles in that mix of shooters.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »
I wondered about the lack of flintlocks, also. Remembering the story took place around 1910 or so and percussion caps had been around for 50+ years , it's not unreasonable to think most serious shooters changed to caplocks. These men were paying  scarce cash money to shoot for meat, I'd think they would use the most reliable rifles they owned.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend