Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Numrich underhammer pistol  (Read 1656 times)

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
Numrich underhammer pistol
« on: August 25, 2023, 06:28:00 PM »
I just bought an old Numrich underhammer pistol. I thought it was 36 caliber, but the bore diameter is actually .352 with 8 grooves. I have some .350 Hornady balls and managed to try one with a patch, but that is way too tight. I think a good size would be about .335 to .340, but that doesn't seem to be a common size at all.
I have a lathe and made a die and punch to size some .350's down to .334, just to try that. They end up looking more like a bullet than a ball and didn't seem to be very accurate, like all over the paper at 20 yards or so.
I see Track of the Wolf has cast balls of .340, I should order some of them. Any other ideas?
I don't suppose anyone else has one of these oddball pistols.
Thanks

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Numrich underhammer pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 10:16:26 PM »
Jim, can you post a picture? Not sure if I've ever seen one.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »
I'm not very good with this computer stuff and don't know how to put pictures on here, but if you search for Numrich or Hopkins and Allen Boot Pistol you'll see them.

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 10:23:40 AM »

There's a pic in this thread: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/underhammer-pistol.125702/

FWIW:

* H&A underhammers have undersize bores, compared to other maker's - my .36 H&A Heritage took patched .340" balls, which I got from www.trackofthewolf.com

(I would strongly advise obtaining an extra nipple specific for the H&A, and a nipple wrench, from TOTW @ the same time)

(Other brand .36's take a .350" ball)

Alternatively, .330" OO buckshot or a Hornady .314" SWC boolit can be used, both with patches.

* I used (and still do) about 15gr (+/-) FFFg for my H&A and T/C .36's - any brand of Holy Black you can get your paws on will do nicely.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »
Aah, thanks guys, I do remember seeing them now. Another case of CRS...
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »
Thanks Petah - I opened up the die to .339 and tried it again today. That's about the right size with the patch material I have and they seemed to be more accurate, although I only fired a few times. I'm using 22 grains of black 3F. I'll order some of those .340 balls from Track of the Wolf. The nipple that came with it was not the right one, it was too long. I had one from a revolver (I think) that was shorter and works good. The thread is 6mm - .75
I like this pistol - even though it's sort of ugly!