Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Proposed Changes to the 2024 Postal Match Rules  (Read 1603 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
Re: Proposed Changes to the 2024 Postal Match Rules
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 10:10:49 AM »
That's a pretty interesting idea, Long Walker. I see it as a way to drum up new postal shooters, but one hitch, though, would be that the guys who shoot each year (4 or more times out of 7) live in seven states, AZ, ID, NJ, OH, OK, MN, PA. Wouldn't want to lose the regular shooters. I'm sure Nessmuk appreciates your ideas and maybe more guys will make suggestions.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 12:59:03 PM »
Don't stop now. we've had some good ideas put forward. Agree or disagree let me know your feelings, PM me if you'd rather not post it.
I know I can't satisfy everyone but I'll do my best to satisfy most.

Nessmuk
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 11:44:06 AM »
Went to the range yesterday to shoot targets. Were they TMA targets? Nope. Was I competing? Nope. I love to shoot my smokepole. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it. Because I hate cleaning the dang things. Sometimes terms like match, competition, best shooter, instills a note of fear in some people. I hate seeing bragging rights being used as a prize. Post results as they are received. That would give more time to chat with the other participants about what gun they used, what load they used, maybe which gun they might use the next time. IIRC, when Ohio Joe was NMD, he posted the results as he received them. Giving people more time to bs with others about their targets and things associated with it. When posting the results at the last of the month, you already are looking forward to next month, and have forgotten about the last month. I know what you're thinking.If the results are posted as received, it might scare somebody off. I don't think it can get much worse. There's only room for improvement. I don't think the guys I've shot with are quitters. And I don't think they are fearful at all. They're like me. They love it and they'll continue to do it. Post the targets and the scores and if the participants are concerned about who finished first, second , and so forth, they can figure it out. I'm only interested in seeing a bunch of targets and scores which means some guys were out there having fun. The only bad thing about me expressing all my opinions is this. My membership expires in June of this year. I was going to quit shooting the postal and not renew my membership, but now I might have to hang on a while longer. Thanks to Nessmuk, and all the previous NMD's.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 12:05:00 PM »
My membership expires in June of this year. I was going to quit shooting the postal and not renew my membership, but now I might have to hang on a while longer. Thanks to Nessmuk, and all the previous NMD's.

N-O-O-O!  :o  Say it's not so, what would become of TMA without you!  :scared:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 02:43:11 PM »
My membership expires in June of this year. I was going to quit shooting the postal and not renew my membership, but now I might have to hang on a while longer. Thanks to Nessmuk, and all the previous NMD's.

N-O-O-O!  :o  Say it's not so, what would become of TMA without you!  :scared:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

~Kees~

And I would second the thought.  Please stick around, if only for another decade or so.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »
As far as competition goes, I'm just here for the party.
 Really when I did compete I would shoot the Rev challenge cold bore then shot my 5 shots.  No cherry picking , what I shot was what I shot.
 I plan on doing the same this yr.
 I just want to have a fun friendly shindig. Something we can all chat about and hopefully encourage new members to participate.
 But if y'all wanna get serious well I can play that too.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2024, 09:14:40 AM »
Right on, KDubs, I'm with you. To me, shoot the Rev Morgan's mini shingle, then 3 to 5 sighter shots before the monthly target(s), then one, maybe two five shot targets for score. Post those two, average their points, and that's that. Quick, easy, uses about 16 loads and you're on your way home to start swabbing.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 12:48:10 PM »
Personally, I am a keep it simple person.  To me there are two ways to shoot.  Off hand or shooting sticks.  It does not matters whether you are standing, kneeling, laying down or sitting at a table.  What matter is whatever way you can comfortably shoot at your age without making the shooting a pain in the you know what.

Not sure what the Rev Morgan shoot is but two targets averaged out would probably work except the averaging workload falls on Nessmuck.  Or have two categories, one for offhand and one for sticks and you can shoot either or both.  One target is fine with me too and as far as anyone cheating who cares.  A cheater only hurts himself.  For hunting I always rely on a rest anyway, so sticks are better practice.  Just my thoughts.  :bigsmile:
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 12:49:46 PM »
Rev. Morgan? I thought he was a Captain! It's nice to hear folks are still trying to hit that shingle. I'm still trying to hit it with a .40 cal.
Keep the Ideas, suggestions, preferences, pet peeves and gripes coming, I've almost finalized a plan to satisfy most everyone, I plan to post it Saturday.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 01:04:12 PM »
Well, I took what KDubs and dmarsh meant when they wrote "Rev" to mean Revolutionary, so that's what I said. I will bet, though, that Capt. Morgan and his men often prayed like reverends going into their battles. I DO revere Morgan, even more than Paul, that other Revere!  :laffing

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2024, 01:24:29 PM »
Just so everyone understands, I do not believe that shooting multiple targets is gaming the system nor cheating. It is what the TMA has allowed for quite some time. To my mind of thinking that turns what I think of as a match into chaos and it discourages new shooters. Some would think how can I compete and not look foolish. Maybe if one guy shoots several targets and cherry picks he could note "best of my 5" and someone else could write on his "1 of 1", "1 of 2." Good luck, Nessmuk, this is why you get the BIG bucks!  :lol sign

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2024, 02:13:44 PM »
I do not believe that shooting multiple targets is gaming the system nor cheating either.  What I meant was someone entering targets and saying they shot them off hand when they used sticks, leadsled or other aids to shoot.  Sorry for the confusion there.    :bigsmile:
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online KDubs

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2024, 02:54:49 PM »
I don't believe multiple target's is a problem either, I just prefer to see how good ( or bad) my first 5 are .  And that's my score.
 It's a challenge for me , that's all.
 And Im ok with a supported or unsupported class.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2024, 03:22:15 PM »
Sorry for straying off the subject, but I'd like to thank Kee's, and Big Smoke for the words of encouragement. Hey Bigsmoke, do you know something that I don't know about my longevity here on earth ? DECADES ???

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2024, 05:28:08 PM »
Well, Tom, here is how I figure it.
Right now, it looks like I have you by about 8 years, and I am planning on sticking around for another score (you know, four score and years).  That will put me at 98, which is a pretty good time to check out.  Of course, my mom said many times that she was going to see her 100th birthday, but she left early at only 95.
So, with all that being said, you should have at least another decade of shooting time left on the clock.  Hopefully, more.  But, you just gotta stop jaywalking.  :laffing :laffing

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life