Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The TMA 2024 Postal Match and the 2024 Postal Fun Shoot  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
The TMA 2024 Postal Match and the 2024 Postal Fun Shoot
« on: March 04, 2024, 12:32:02 PM »
The TMA 2024 Postal Match and the 2024 Postal Fun Shoot

The TMA 2024 Postal Match and the 2024 Postal Fun Shoot will start on April 1st and end on the last day of October 2024.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE:  A shooter class system is enacted for the 2024 TMA Monthly Postal Matches and shooter scores from 2021 , 2022 and 2023 will be used to classify competitors next year. 
Master/50, Expert/45, Sharpshooter/40, Marksman/35, Patriot/30, Defender/29 and under.  Returning competitors will be assigned a class based on the average of their prior year’s scores,
 new competitors won’t be assigned a class until they have submitted two targets for score.

If there is one (or more) shooters within a class, a top score winner will be named.

The shooter class system will hopefully be an impetus for folks to join the TMA Postal Match competition and have it be a vehicle to help strive for better marksmanship.
 With a scoring classification system, as you improve you will have an opportunity to jump up in class and thus receive a good measure of shooting achievement. 
Without a class scoring system, some folks - like me! - who will never become a Master at least have an opportunity to jump class from Defender to Patriot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ANYONE can enter the monthly contests, there are no match fees.  If you are not already registered on the TMA forum, it's also free, just sign up!  Submit a completed target face type for just one month, or a group of selective months, or all seven months - totally your call !

Trad muzzleloaders only, .31 to .75 in bore, iron sights, lead round balls only.  Long gun or pistol (either rifled or smoothbore), any traditional ignition system
(flintlock., percussion, match lock, wheel lock) are all welcome.

You can use multiple trad muzzleloaders - it doesn't matter if one month you shoot a rifled long gun and another month you shoot a smoothbore pistol. 
All that matters is that a firearm that meets the rules standards (shown above) is employed.  Lots of choices!

There are no special equipment "classes", run what ya brung as long as it fits the general rules, we all compete as one happy trad muzzleloader fun lovin' group.

QUICK SYNOPSIS OF THE 2024 POSTAL MATCH / POSTAL FUN SHOOT

1.  Make a post in this thread that you will be shooting in the TMA Postal Match and/or Postal Fun Shoot.
2. This year in addition to our Postal Match we have included a Postal Fun Shoot to include a Rendezvous type target choice in addition to our Traditional Target.
This is for folks who are bored with bullseye targets and would like a different challenge. To keep the “Rondy” challenge fresh, I will only post the Rondy target one week before the first of the month.

3.  Print your target, mount your target with cardboard backing (this will allow the cleanest bullet holes).
If you don’t have access to a printer or lack the computer skills to download to a flashdrive, PM me with your address.
I will mail you a target with the understanding that you will mail it back to me with 5 bullet holes in it.

Print out the TMA Bullseye target face for match shooting -http://tradmla.org/postal21/tma821.pdf

Print out the TMA Rendezvous target face for match shooting
 These targets will be available 1 week before the start of the month.

3.  Pick one or more months to shoot.

4.  Shoot for score!

---> All targets are to be shot at a measured 25 yards, five shots per target.

---> Bullet holes must completely break a scoring line to count for the higher value.

---> Target faces and scores will get posted when recieved. Note: If there are mailed targets on the way, I will mark the standings as provisional until the mailed targets arrive.

---> Each competitor can submit one target face for score for the  monthly postal match and one for the the Postal Fun Shoot, one Traditional and one Rondy.

5.  Each month, submit your best scored target face by emailing an image of it to score@TradMLA.org. or nessmuk@cox.net or snail mail the target to :
Mark Van der Veer
 2790 Greystone Lane
 Choctaw, OK, 73020.
If you mail your targets, please PM me(Nessmuk)  so I’ll look for it in the mail.

Targets must be filled out with name, date, rifle or smoothbore, flint or percussion, caliber, SHOOTING POSITION and the total score. 
All scored targets must be email or mailed dated no later than the last day of the month the face was scored.

6.  That's it!

For more match details, see below!

SHOOTING POSITION FOR POSTAL MATCH

Shooters may shoot off-hand OR from a bench using ELBOWS ONLY, NO Rest of any kind.

SHOOTING POSITION FOR POSTAL FUN SHOOT

Shooters may use any position they wish, off-hand, sitting, kneeling. squatting, sitting or standing.
IF A REST IS USED IT MUST BE NON-ADJUSTABLE TYPE THAT WOULD BE COMMON IN THE 1850’s OR EARLIER. (Home-made would be best!)

TARGET FACES ...

You must download and print out the special TMA target face.

You can shoot the TMA target face type multiple times, but submit only ONE face type per month for score - your call.

NOTE:  You must have shot the target face you are submitting within the month of submission.  If you shot a target face in April, it can only be submitted in April.

You do not have to submit any target face for score every month.  You can shoot just one month of the match and submit just one target face for score.

All up to what you wish to do.  This is a very flexible postal match that allows you to compete just one month, or multiple months, or all seven months.

There will be monthly winners and an overall year winner for each face type, too.

The more months you submit a target face, the higher your year's aggregate score will be.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

---> As usual, all targets are to be shot at a measured 25 yards, five shots per target.

---> Bullet holes must completely break a scoring line to count for the higher value.

All target faces Must be secured to a cardboard backing - stapled, taped, glued, whatever - target faces must be held Tight to the backing as this will insure clean holes that all can see.
There WILL be forthcoming holes in your target faces, right???   

Submit your best scored target face by emailing an image of it to:
 score@TradMLA.org. or snail mail the target to :
Mark Van der Veer
 2790 Greystone Lane
 Choctaw, OK, 73020.
If you mail your targets, please PM me so I’ll look for it in the mail.

Targets must be filled out with name, date, rifle or smoothbore, flint or percussion, caliber, shooting position and the total score.
 All scored targets must be email dated no later than the last day of the month the face was scored.

Down below please find links to the TMA bullseye we'll be using.  Just print the target faces out.  Don't have a printer? 
Copy the two target face files to a thumb drive and bring it either to a friend (with a printer!) or a library or Staples, and have a few copies printed.
If you don’t have access to a printer or lack the computer skills to download to a thumb drive, PM me with your address.
I will mail you a target with the understanding that you will mail it back to me with 5 bullet holes in it.

Print out the TMA Bullseye target face for match shooting -http://tradmla.org/postal21/tma821.pdf

Look for the “Rondy” Fun Shoot target on the Monthly post

If you have any questions, Ideas, complaints or miscellaneous thoughts, feel free to PM me.

Nessmuk

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Salty

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: The TMA 2024 Postal Match and the 2024 Postal Fun Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 12:53:32 PM »
Nessmuk, please count me in.
Thanks for keeping this going. Looks like fun.
Salty
“We’re supposed to be surrounded…we’re paratroopers” Captain Richard Winters, Bastogne 1944

Online KDubs

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 02:12:56 PM »
I will participate this year.
 Looking forward to it.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 06:58:53 PM »
Old Beav is stepping up this year, waiting for new glasses to arrive as i type, that way I can see the crappy targets better! :yessir:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 10:03:30 PM »
I am planning on shooting. :hairy
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 01:08:04 PM »
Count me in also.

Real quick, for clarification: iron sights only, either open or peep?  Or only open?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 08:27:00 PM »
After much painstaking research. I have determined Peep sights are allowed as long as you haven't slipped some magnification in.   :luff:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 07:47:35 AM »
Well since this is for fun and all I'll ask this question.
 What about rear sights on a smoothbore. 
 Cheating ??
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:59 AM »
As long as they're iron sights, open or peep, we're not prejudiced.

:hairy

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 10:02:43 AM »
I am happy to report that Quality Control here at the No Powder facility,  has reported that all balls cast yesterday,  have met the necessary criteria to be considered 10x's, and are awaiting deliver to the postal targets. They added they have no control over the firearm or shooter, so therefore, anything can happen.What this simply means, I think I'll participate for at least a couple of months. Thanks again Nessmuk, and have fun guys.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 09:21:37 PM »
Good on you, Mr, Powderless Person!  :toast
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline No Powder

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 10:58:24 PM »
Hey Kees, Mr. Powderless Person has a nice ring to it. I like that.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 11:18:04 AM »
Thank you, it took all of my amazing brain power to come up with that!  :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 01:37:06 PM »
Hey Kees, I found some powder. It might not have the familiar red label on it, but it's real blackpowder. Did you hear whether Beaverman got those new postal shoot glasses yet?

Online Salty

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 09:07:24 AM »
Hey guys, did the April target get posted? Have I missed it?
“We’re supposed to be surrounded…we’re paratroopers” Captain Richard Winters, Bastogne 1944