Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Just Because  (Read 364 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Just Because
« on: March 28, 2024, 02:53:55 PM »
I really don't have anything to chat about, but it has been pretty quiet around here for the last few days.
I thought I would just say hi. :wave :wave

About all that is happening here is I bought a new 2 x 48" belt sander last week.  I was pretty excited about it until I got it out of the box and took a good look at it.  Then I said a couple of words that I wouldn't utter in polite company.  Darn it, the platen is integral to the frame of the sander and is not removable.  Without the platen in place, one can do a better job of sanding a horn, else with it, the belt will not wrap around the horn.  Yesterday was spent writing emails and making phone calls to arrange for a return.  It appears that my labors bore fruit, as I was sent a shipping label by PayPal to return the sander to Grainger, all 81 pounds of it.  Now, all I have to do is take it down to the FedEx store and get it on its way.  I have my eyes on a Kalamazoo brand sander that I know will do the job, as I have had one of them before.  How come I always sell off my shop equipment when I think I am going to quit making horns?  I should know better by now.
Oh well, I might get smart one of these days.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Just Because
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 06:24:34 PM »
LOL, I know what you mean John. I have so many tools down in my basement and can't make myself sell any. In fact < I can't help but go through the tool section of a store even when I know I don't need anything. When I was working, I was a carpenter. I had a complete set of tools In my shop at work. Also had a set in my pickup. And of course I had a set at home. Now that I'm retired, it's all in the basement along with 5 motorcycles and 2 kayaks. I barley have a path though.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 06:47:31 PM »
Hank, it sounds like you have a bigger garage than I do.  Having a basement is kind of like cheating.  I'm jealous!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 11:33:46 AM »
LOL, I know what you mean John. I have so many tools down in my basement and can't make myself sell any. In fact < I can't help but go through the tool section of a store even when I know I don't need anything. When I was working, I was a carpenter. I had a complete set of tools In my shop at work. Also had a set in my pickup. And of course I had a set at home. Now that I'm retired, it's all in the basement along with 5 motorcycles and 2 kayaks. I barley have a path though.

Thats why last year I had a couple 3 yard sales and sold all my contractor tools, dry wall, electrical, plumbing, concrete my paint pump and pans and rollers and such, worm drives, hell I even sold my bags! I'm retired! can't do the work if you don't have the tools!, kept some bare bone stuff like my chop saw, a framing hammer a half dozen tapes, 1 chalk line and my old Skill 5100 siding saw. If I need any of those tools for personal stuff my Son's fairly well set up. I've had 3 old customers call me about some jobs in the last couple years and told them I can't do it, sold my tools! Best thing I did, besides you can't eat the tools and the kid is well set now, he still has to deal with 3 roll aways of mechanics tools and sanders, grinders wood lathe, vises benches etc of gun building and horn and leather tools when I go. I've been thinking I should start thinning out the ML herd a bit, I have rifles I haven't shot in 10 years and the Son's idea of ML hunting is those weird front stuffers with the 209 caps and plastic wrapped copper projectiles!

I was wondering how long John would last without snorting horn dust on a weekly basis! :laffing
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 01:45:41 PM »
I was wondering how long John would last without snorting horn dust on a weekly basis! :laffing

"Tis a funny story about my getting away from working horns.  First, we sold October Country in 2005 and moved down to LaLaLand in 2006.  When we sold OC, I had no intention of not continuing to work horns, as I did not sell that part of the business.  So, I got here and established Powder Horns and More.  I worked that until 2014 and sold PHM to Gerry.  Every tool went with him, lathe, Shopsmith, disk sander, routers, etc.  The next year I think it was or maybe the one after that, Gerry decided he wanted to do a super trek and asked me to keep the business up to date and keep up with orders.  So, I re-equipped and started making horns for him.  After that, I made a few spec horns and finally on 1/1/20 I said I wasn't going to do this anymore.  Well, sure, we knew I would weaken sooner or later.  And sure enough, in December 2022, I bought another shopsmith and started making the occasional horn, at least enough to pay for the Shopsmith.  So now, I am thinking I should expand a bit and get some new equipment and get rid of other stuff and revamp my shop.  I have been wanting a 2" belt sander for a while, as the 1" one doesn't do as well.  And if I want to do some narrower stuff, I can always get 1 x 48" belts.
So yes, Jim, this is how long I could last without snorting horn dust.  I just cannot seem to get away from it.  I was doing some figuring and it seems like I have been at this 40 years, started making horns in 1984.  Why stop now, I imagine I have another 20 years or so left, oh hell, make that 22.  My mom thought she would last to 100 but only made it to 95.  I will do 100.
John 

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 02:11:44 PM »
Man... has it been 10 years since you sold PHAM? I'm getting old!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 06:10:15 PM »
Are we not? :Doh!

I am sure not being able to get one more person to sign up for the Pass Around Box isn't helping.
Come on guys, give the OLD Beaverman a break and sign up for this fun thing.  Every day that passes, just ages him one more day. ;banghead;  It looks like it makes his forehead a little flatter too.

John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 06:45:54 AM »
I wonder if some of beavs ML'ers  will fit in the box.  :bigsmile:
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 10:31:44 AM »
I have a band saw, I can make anything fit! :hairy
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 05:32:37 PM »
Bet you can't  :luff:
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell