Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's Everyone Doing?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: What's Everyone Doing?
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2024, 07:06:03 AM »
Flinters all the way, for me.  You find a process that consistently works well (meaning, fires with every trigger pull) and yer good to go.

I attend to, and use, my flinters perhaps a tad different than most folks.

I use two rods, both with brass ferrules at one end, the other end tapered to fit down into the pipes.  One rod has a jag screwed in and this rod is for leaving down the bbl with an oily patch, after the tube has been reasonably cleaned and the shooting session is over.  The other rod is the worker that stays in the pipes and does the ball ramming - it has no jag and the naked tapered end does the patched ball ramming.

All jags have their concave cupped ends filled and leveled with solder - this insures that whence patched they will fit flush against the flat face of the breech plug, thus well cleaning it.

When shooting, only the piped rod is used - the other jagged cleaning rod stays back in the rifle's case.  A jag and a ball worm, along with a spare flint, are in the rifle's patch box. 

After blowing down the barrel to insure there's no embers left in the tube from the last shot taken, a volume measure of 3F powder is sent down to the chamber and the bbl is thumped with a hand to settle it all down nicely.  IF I was concerned about loading the chamber more precisely I'd first shove a 36" brass tube down the bore and pour the powder into the tube's funnel end.  This absolutely concentrates the powder in the bbl's chamber ... but this is for bench shooting and not woods walk shooting.

After pressing in the patched balled into the gun's muzzle with the handle of my rifleman's knife, the rod's tapered end does the patched ball pushing down the tube, thus it's up outta the pipes and down the tube to seat the ball.  No short started used or needed.  I'll bounce the rod to insure a consistent compression of patched ball on the powder charge.  When the deed's done it's up outta the tube and down the pipes - no wasted time with rod twirling around.

With a patched ball seated on a powder charge, the rifle is arm cradled, a cloth rag or brass brush cleans the pan, the frizzen face, and the cutting edge of the flint.  A touch hole pick is always string attached to the trigger guard and picks at the powder thru the vent to increase the powder surface area to better receive the heat of the pan flash.

The pan is about 1/3rd filled in it's center with the same 3F horn powder, (Swiss, of course!).

After the shot is taken the above process is repeated.  There is no need to clean out the bbl if there is a good fit of patched ball into the bore, and the patch material (red pillow ticking) is WELL lubed with Gato Feo.  It took me far too long to realize that a heavily lubed patch was the key to never needing to clean the bbl at all for the length of the shooting session and so far for at least 27 balls fired.

YMMV!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2024, 08:30:35 AM »
Made a small 3" Japanese forged Damascus blade neck patch knife.  Used a piece of antler shed I found last year for the handle and stitched up a sheath from some left over quiver leather.  Hangs upside down for quick deployment,

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2024, 09:09:08 AM »
Nice knife rob.
 Your routine sounds similar to mine.
 I feel pretty confident in my flinter knowledge and my ability to fix any issues that arise.
 Im sure I must have not given ginger the proper care she needed after my last session, which was a few days before RDV and that contributed to the gunk issue.
 No biggie, it's all good as I say.
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2024, 09:30:58 AM »
With muzzleloader issues it almost always comes down to a lapse in routine with regards to BP residue - I always wanna keep the bore at least damp if not wet.  This means that after taking a buncha shots and Cookie rings the lunch bell I'm running a few moose milk wet patches down the tube that spits wet slop out the touch hole, and leaving a sloppy oily wet jagged patch homed to the breech plug whilst I enjoy Cookie's vitals and grog.   Of course, a full wipe out and drying will be required as shooting resumes.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2024, 02:00:48 PM »
I lost my DL due to a medical issue so I can no longer just drive to my rifle club outside town.  Come to think of it I also can't even take a walk by myself.  Shooting/eyes have become not-so-good the past few years.  No matter, I still hit my target...uh, not the bullseye I posted though; see, I just shoot at alternative targets: 100% hits.  :o

I only own 2 working percussion rifles and they are both pretty awesome.  They don't get much exercise because I 'bout always shoot my flintlocks exclusively.  I do "get" (AHEM!) to perform my household chores that I can handle - I bet no one is jealous about that!  I tinker every chance I get and have made three "pour spout" lids for Swiss and Goex "cans".  Also enjoy cobbling up a few powder measures.  I don't spend nearly as much time on line as I did during the Covid outbreak and have had to drop several forums I enjoyed.  But paring down has given me more time to do other things.  :*:

I have to wear this crummy "watch" my squeeze gave me.  It's supposed to sound an alert when I fall (which is frequent and the main reason I stay mostly inside).  I never wore watches before so it is somewhat "uncomfortable".   Hmmm...I know there's more but need to take a break.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2024, 10:30:50 AM »
It's been a while since I posted in this section, since we got back from our trip we sold the trailer and are searching for a newer different one 16 to 18 ft would be ideal, need the right floor plan than works for us. We bought a new to us 2009 5.3liter 1/2 ton Suburban with 110,000 less miles than our 99 Suburban, have been fixing things and detailing that, tending the garden, slowly working on the Woodsrunner; I'm about ready to start the stock stain and finish, I have been remodeling an early CVA Mt. rifle that's turning out pretty sweet and will post pics of that soon. I hope you all have been well and behaving!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2024, 01:56:13 PM »
A cousin came by yesterday.  After we went out to lunch, we got back to the house and went into the shop.  He had brought some manzanita branches with him that he wanted rounded on my lathe.
Unfortunately, there were only a few small pieces that were straight enough to turn.
I had never worked with that wood before, so I had no idea what to expect.  Frankly, it was better than I had thought.
I turned two pieces that were pretty narrow, maybe 3/4" in diameter.  I drilled center holes in them so he could affix small blades to them.
All in all, it "turned" out pretty good.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2024, 07:00:34 AM »
Currently in Buffalo NY.
 Seeing a long time friend and USAF buddy
 Then on to Syracuse to see family
Then on to Philly for a wedding
 Then finally back home.
 Full ten days of east coast fun.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2024, 07:22:20 AM »
If you were on the PA Turnpike, you were 10 miles from where I live. Wish I could have met you.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2024, 10:47:31 PM »
I went to our monthly men's prayer breakfast this morning.  It usually ends at around 11:00-11:15 but it lasted later today.  On the way home I stopped by the Napa store for a couple of hose clamps for the new high pressure line in my Ranger's a/c system.  That done I charged the system until the refrigerant can was empty which barely put it in the blue "good" range on the pressure gauge.  I'll get another can tomorrow or Monday and finish charging it.  Hopefully it won't have any leaks.

put a second coat of Alox on the elongated bullets.

Made black bean, tomato and quinoa salad for dinner.  Filled the bird feeders and watered the plants.  Fed the dog and cats.  Checked the "glow in the dark" kitty with the Geiger counter and he is right at 1.00 mR/hr.  Yesterday he was 1.24 and the day before 1.50 so hopefully he will be less than .033 and out of quarantine by the end of the week.

Another exciting day in Chauncey, Ohio!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline No Powder

« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2024, 11:32:14 PM »
Kees, I think you should have said busy instead of exciting. :wave

Online KDubs

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2024, 06:57:52 AM »
If you were on the PA Turnpike, you were 10 miles from where I live. Wish I could have met you.

Unless you live @ 39000ft we weren't going to meet.
 Would have been better to drive , at least for me. 
  I would like to have met you my friend.
  My wife keeps hinting we should move back here.  So we may meet sooner than later.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline No Powder

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2024, 08:17:52 AM »
My bad. I should have known you would probably be flying that far.

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2024, 11:29:04 AM »
Spent yesterday watching oil dry on the Mtn Rifle and turning some new powder measures to replace the ones I sold recently, have the labor day rondy fast approaching and would like to throw a blanket out and help finance the next Kibler, the boss lady is still scouring market place and craigs list looking for a new trailer that SHE likes, hope she finds one soon, hunting is just around the corner! 
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2024, 01:20:15 PM »
Well we day tripped the rondy and threw out a blanket, not too bad!  made gas money and dinner and visit with some old friends like Skillman so yesterday was a freebie, can't complain about that, going to be another warm one here today, was 90 yesterday high of 86 today, I think I'll go water the vegies and turn on the AC and lay low today, hmmmm an afternoon barley pop and nap sound in order, we'll see what SWMBO has planned, wish me luck!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA