Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Does anyone have anything to contribute?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Re: Does anyone have anything to contribute?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2024, 08:39:56 PM »
Appreciate it Jim.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2025

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2024, 04:48:08 PM »
rollingb recently asked for suggestions as to how to help the TMA. I did a little number crunching and was surprised with what it revealed. There are several TMA guys on the MLF too, so I compared the number of likes to posts for myself and four others. I figured a high like to post count might correlate with interesting topics. Here's what I found. For myself on the TMA I have 177 likes out of 329 posts, <1:2, on the MLF I have 803 likes to 380 posts, >2:1. The results for four other guys (TMA then MLF) are:   1 to 3 and 1.5to 1.  1 to 2.5 and 3 to 1.   1 to 20 and 1 to 1.    statistically 0 and 3 to 1. What this could mean is that the topics on the TMA might need examined and perhaps offering more to talk about might yield more people talking and more TMA users. Does anyone else have ideas?
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2024, 10:03:39 PM »
I think we currently have around 20-25 active posters on our site, how many are on the MLF site?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2024, 10:38:07 PM »
Sorry, but I have no idea.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2024, 11:48:06 PM »
The other thing to consider on the MLF site is how many of those posts you mention are in the political posting sections and not ML oriented?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2024, 12:31:24 AM »
Sorry, I don't know because I'm not a honcho on either forum and I just worked with what I found by easy poking around. I pointed out the likes to posts differences between the forums merely to suggest that some new topics might attract new people and get some chatter going. Why not come up with some and try it for a while and then either keep some of the new topics or can them? What is there to lose by trying? I'm passing the suggestion torch to everyone else now. I hope the TMA gets flooded with new ideas.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 01:05:12 AM »
Sorry, I don't know because I'm not a honcho on either forum and I just worked with what I found by easy poking around. I pointed out the likes to posts differences between the forums merely to suggest that some new topics might attract new people and get some chatter going. Why not come up with some and try it for a while and then either keep some of the new topics or can them? What is there to lose by trying? I'm passing the suggestion torch to everyone else now. I hope the TMA gets flooded with new ideas.

You and me both! :yessir:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2024, 06:46:24 PM »
I'm not on Facebook or any other "social media', never saw the sense nor need for that.  For quite some time I was active on GBO, but the M/L content there died away except for the plastic wonders.  Hanshi steered me to TradRag and I hung out there until they went to Facebook after which that site was shut down when only 3 or 4 people were active on it.  He also suggested TMA, and I have been here 10 years or so.

Flintlocks vs caplocks?  I have them both, even have one of those cap making kits which came in handy when or government's response to Covid knocked everything for a loop.  Mostly I just have fun teasing John.  My first M/L rifle was an underhammer and that was followed by a CVA caplock, but then I got a T-C flintlock and it's been downhill ever since....

One program the TMA had was the rifle donation and that was the main reason I became a contributing member.  It was a good cause to put money toward.  I am not enthused about giving that money away in a monthly drawing although it seems a lot of folks here think it's a great idea.

No Powder, I read your posts!  However, my M/L experience level falls far short of yours so I often don't respond.  I will try to do better as I would hate to see you fade away here, so please keep on keeping on.

Well, it seems like I am in rambling mode so I had better stop except to say that we have lost some great folks.  I send Riley a PM every year asking how he is doing, and he answers but life has got in the way for him.  Fletcher has never responded when I PM or email him.  I will be around for as long as you folks will allow me to, and maybe even if you don't!   :o

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2024, 10:56:21 AM »

Flintlocks vs caplocks?  I have them both, even have one of those cap making kits which came in handy when our government's response to Covid knocked everything for a loop.  Mostly I just have fun teasing John. 
~Kees~

WHAT?  You were just teasing?  And all this time I thought you were serious.  Well, shucky darn, y'all sure fooled me.  I was almost to the point of feeling guilty for converting our PA Hunter to a reliable ignition system.
But don't stop, I do get a kick out of it.
And here is another example of a reason why a person should be a member of this group.  The comradery that develops between individuals that have never met.  I have never looked Kees in the eye nor shook his hand, but I consider him to be a better friend than many people whom I have met face to face.  And that is far more important to me than the price of admission here ever could be.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2024, 01:37:20 PM »
Yes sir amen to that John
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2024, 07:53:38 PM »
And here is another example of a reason why a person should be a member of this group.  The comradery that develops between individuals that have never met.  I have never looked Kees in the eye nor shook his hand, but I consider him to be a better friend than many people whom I have met face to face.  And that is far more important to me than the price of admission here ever could be.

Now you have me blushing!   :laffing  Thank you for the vote of confidence.  I don't know of many other folks who would be that rash!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2024, 11:11:36 PM »
But sir, how can you say that?  I do not have Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria.  Nor do I have Plaque Psoriasis.  And it is not nearly hot enough here to have a heat rash.
How then can I be rash if I don't have a rash?
And that is something for you to ponder,
as you wander,
yonder. 
 :lol sign
 John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2024 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2024, 05:09:18 PM »
All my best friends are on this forum. Yeah, even the marines. 

:bigsmile:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2024, 06:04:37 PM »
Ooh Rah!  :bigsmile:
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell