Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Cleaning C&B Revolvers

(1/4) > >>

butterchurn:
I have a Pietta 1861 Colt Navy and I was wondering about the procedure for cleaning it?  

Do you need to strip all the parts off of it down to the frame to clean it or just field strip it to clean?  The gun is blued.  If I get a Ruger Old Army in stainless is the procedure any different.  

I guess I get worried about BP fouling getting down into the action.

Thanks!

R.M.:
The short answer is, yes you should. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't much work. As far as the stainless ROA, you still should, but you sure shouldn't follow my example, as I live in a very dry climate, so I am lax about cleaning my revolvers. In damp areas, clean them. You won't be sorry.
Also, remove the nipples when you clean the cylinder. When you put them back in, put a small dab of borebutter or anti-seize grease on the threads. They don't need to be overly tightened either.

Gordon H.Kemp:
Follow RM's advice and you won't go wrong. As to the stainless ROA, don't listen to those that think that stainless dosn't need to be cleaned a much as reg.steel. And do pull the nipples often, Once they (nipples) sieze, you'll know why.

Groundhog:
HOT HOT HOT   You will find hot soapy water does a great job of cuttin' the crud... the hotter the water , the better it will dry.
oil real good...   Mr Kemp is right    if something will corrode up n get tight... it will be the nipples... spent many an hour gettin a stuck one out... not fun.

Minnesota Mike:
Just remember when you get done with the hot, hot, hot water - dry off and use wd-40 to get rid of moisture and then use gun oil. WD-40 is NOT a rust inhibitor like gun oil is; WD-40 just helps dry out the moisture.

r/
MM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version