Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Apple Pie for sippin  (Read 11042 times)

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
Cpl - Better have a lot of thirsty people around for that quantity.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Cpl.Parker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
sse, I have many volunteers willing to help with disposal:-)
"May they and all the others that died for freedom and justice not be forgotten.
They gave us freedom and it is our duty to keep it."

Offline ManyVoices

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.karenstoryteller.com
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »
Since we figure folks have always used whatever fruit they had on hand, not just apples, we did some experimenting the end of last summer.  

First, we filled a gallon jar with raspberries, added a bit of sugar, then poured over 1.5 liters of vodka.

Then, we filled another gallon jar with peaches, added a bit of brown sugar and nutmeg, and poured over 1.5 liters of rum.

Then, we let 'em sit for about 6 months and strained the liquid from the fruit, put the liquid in jars and are letting them sit a bit more.  We've checked them a few times, and do think they're mellowing out to something quite fabulous.  Plus - we've got some killer fruit to put over ice cream  :lt th
Many Voices
TMA # 257, exp 5/24/13
Karen Haas -- Storteller, Living History Performer, Step-on Tours of  Tacoma, and Musician.
We are the guardians of the memories of those who have gone before.

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
On of the finest sipping drinks I've tasted at Rendezvous is Huckleberry smash. A fella out of Nebraska that does a doings here in Colorado in the fall makes it. Spends his summers out there in eastern Washington.
 Asked him once upon a time how he came upon the name. "Well thats what ya do to the berries and thats what it does to you."
 Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline ManyVoices

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »
Huckleberry smash?  Oh, yum!  Brings back memories of living in Libby, MT where we could pretty much walk out the back door and find huckleberries.
Many Voices
TMA # 257, exp 5/24/13
Karen Haas -- Storteller, Living History Performer, Step-on Tours of  Tacoma, and Musician.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »
Quote from: "ManyVoices"
Since we figure folks have always used whatever fruit they had on hand, not just apples, we did some experimenting the end of last summer.  

First, we filled a gallon jar with raspberries, added a bit of sugar, then poured over 1.5 liters of vodka.

Then, we filled another gallon jar with peaches, added a bit of brown sugar and nutmeg, and poured over 1.5 liters of rum.

Then, we let 'em sit for about 6 months and strained the liquid from the fruit, put the liquid in jars and are letting them sit a bit more.  We've checked them a few times, and do think they're mellowing out to something quite fabulous.  Plus - we've got some killer fruit to put over ice cream  :lt th

Karen, wait till it sits for about 3 or 4 years, talk about smooth, Laura and I will bring some 6 year old blackberry she made to Paul Bunyan for a sampling!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ManyVoices

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 12:06:33 AM »
6 years old?  Dang, Beaverman, you've got more patience than I do!
Many Voices
TMA # 257, exp 5/24/13

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
well..............we actually had a good stock for awhile, that 6 year old stuff is  "private reserve", course your family so you and Patrick qualify !
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 11:13:25 AM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
well, I warned you!! Glad you were able to tweek it to your satisfaction...aged it'll be even better-like a slice of homemade apple pie in a cup!!

Well last weekend we had our annual fall shoot and camp... rained cats and dogs all weekend so we didn't get any shooting in at all... but I did bring a couple of jars of my now aged apple pie. Your right Mitch it got even better with age. Has a buttery smooth taste to it now... not real sweet... Justy plain great. Your warrnings about watching just how much you have are well to be heeded and I have the lump on the back of my head to prove it!  :Doh!
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2008, 11:30:13 AM »
I will be trying one of these recipes this fall for sure.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
My Grandfather used to make a concoction...

He would take pitted cherries....the kind you get in one of those large, and I do mean large tins. These were unsweetened. At any rate, he would fill up as many mason jars as it took, dump the cherries in them, add some sugar, and his favorite whiskey. Well...ok a good bourbon. He would put this up as soon as one could get fresh picked cherries from a cannery. Set it aside until Christmas. Oh man..lemme tell ya...gooooood stuff. One could either drink the juice or eat the fruit. I suppose one could try it without the sugar...I dunno, I never did.
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
For the LAZY buckskinner!  Yep, STORE BOUGHT apple pie!  I saw this stuff and couldn't believe it.  Not as fortified as the stuff that removes wallpaper, but I'll bet it has a nice fragrance.

Comes from a town called "Temperance" Michigan.  Nice touch.

Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
Jeesh Jim Beau, Looks like ya dug up an old thread here.

But, as always, your timing is near perfect.

With the holiday season coming on fast , this is a great reminder of a few things that need done.

Let's see now, there is;
-Home made Apple Pie
-Home made Kahlua
-Home made Baily's Creme
And this year I will be trying my hand at a bottle or two of Cinnamon Schnapps...we can now buy 150 Proof EverClear in Washington State Liquor stores!
(Always in the past, we had to drive to Oregon or Idaho to buy it in order to make many of the home made liquors....EverClear is ten times better than using a real strong Vodka in these recipes.)

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
I've tried some of the recipes that use a whole jug of everclear, 150+ proof rum, and the like and mostly they tend to taste like solvent grade kerosene.  Too much alcohol makes it nasty.

My apple pie uses one 750 ML bottle of 80 proof Lamb's Navy rum, One gallon of unfiltered apple juice/cider, four ounces of cinnamon napoleons two ounces of stick cinnamon, and an ounce of whole cloves.   I heat the cider barely to boiling after adding the candy and spices and stir until the candy dissolves then I let it cool and fish out the spices, portioning them evenly into glass jugs.   Add the rum, stirring thoroughly.  Pour into clean glass jugs and put away until rondy time.  This stuff is good right away, like for a Christmas party or the like, but is heavenly after a few months.  I found a growler (1/2 gallon jug) that got shoved to the back of a shelf and forgotten in 1995 that I dang near drank in one sitting, it was so good, in the fall of '07 or '08.  

I put a batch into a genny-yoo-wine an-tee-kew jimmy-john one Fall after rondy season so I'd have it for first Rondy in the Spring.  HUGE mistake!!  Half of it leaked out, as the glazing on the inside of that jug was badly flawed when it was made, causing the jimmy-john not to be water tight.  The pie inside tasted like fulminate of rabid dog vomit, and not in the good way.  I now age and store my pie in glass, and take it to rondy in stoneware jimmy-johns.   So be careful.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
The pie inside tasted like fulminate of rabid dog vomit, and not in the good way.
Well, dogs are partial to eatin their own vomit, so it couldn't'a been that bad... :P
Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821