Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

cap and ball reloads?

(1/4) > >>

16gauge:
I'm looking for some historical information re: reloading cap and ball revolvers while afield or in combat.  How did they do it?  I know I've read somewhere that spare cylinders were carried, but did they carry any kind of "kit" where they had the necessities (ball, powder, cap, and grease)?  If so, how (in what type of container) did they carry the grease for lubing over the ball?
  Thanks in advance.

Ohio Joe:
Though cap & ball revolvers lasted well into the cartridge era, folks who carried them would still have had to carry reloading supplies regardless if they used the extra cylinders for quick reloading as these would need reloaded eventually as well.

Many may have carried the paper cartidges and relied solely on those if they were within what they felt enough miles of a general store or trading post to resupply.

My guess is that most who carried a cap & ball revolver on the frontier also carried a cap & ball rifle so they would have these reloading supplies in their shooting pouch with their rifle reloading supplies; cap, ball, flask, grease (wagon wheel grease would be very common)...

Hickock carried two revolvers in case one misfired.  Most shootist of that time carried two revolvers, but as we know, they had to reload also.

Hope this helps.

Minnesota Mike:
It depends on the 'who' you're talking about.

Military types had the paper cartidges for reloads, but most civilians carried their extra powder in flasks and balls in bags. Not sure how many carried the extra cylinders like portrayed in Josie Wales or Pale Rider.

I suspect easier course of action was a spare pistol rather than extra cylinder.

If you see some of the presentation boxes which were very popular at the time, all of the necessary items were in the box - they just needed to figure out how to best 'carry' them while out and about. Either in a bag arrangement of some sort - or in in saddle bag.

Hope that helps - or are you looking for help in identifying specific historical reference that you can cite?

r/
MM

Hawg:
In the military..........Confederate cavalry anyway, they carried from 4-6 revolvers. When one was empty it was discarded and picked up later.

Minnesota Mike:
Timing is everything. Check out the latest issue of The Backwoodsman. There is an article talking about commercial paper cartridges. Not a lot of historical info - but enough terminology used that you have a good basis for hitting the web to do some pointed research.

If you can't get - let me know and I'll post some key words, manufacturer, etc. from the article (it's at home . . .)

r/
MM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version