Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Diabetics  (Read 17977 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
I am much like Three Hawks.  I just started a Diabetic Weight Loss Clinic.  The program is lifestyle change (hard but necessary)  It has you understanding carbs and calories and getting total calorie intake down to where you lose about 2 pounds per week to desired weight then maintain.  The fast down weight loss diets are very hard on Diabetics.  My need is 60 lbs lost - if I can make 40 lbs lost in 30 weeks or less and keep it off a whole year they think I can get off a bunch of Meds and be at much less risk.  The whole 60 lbs is going to be tough at my age with artificial knees.  The key to real weight control is excerise and that comes hard for me.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
Stick my nose in here not to give advice but to ask those who are diabetic if you know about stevia?
Do you know or has anyone researched B6 is relation to sugar metabolism?
Again not giving advise as that should be done by your doctor but just asking questions.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Never heard of stevia nor has any doctor mentioned it.  Tell me more so I can ask intelligent questions.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Check this out:www.stevia.net.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
Stevia is only another plant that tastes sweet.  Horrendously expensive and raises my blood pressure precipitously because it almost always comes with a leftist political lecture on the evils of American Imperialism from a skinny s**thead with terminal acne.  

I found it far too hard on my blood pressure as the missus wouldn't let me "vent" on the blockhead giving the presentation.  

By "vent" I mean snapping his arm off at the elbow and beating him to death with the sloppy end of it.  Instead I took a leak on his car and drove twigs into the door locks .  Yes, I felt a lot better afterward.  I would have felt even better if I could have "vented" properly, though.

I don't think I'll be using stevia any time soon.  Equal and Sweet 'n Low work fine for me and don't elevate my B/P.

Maybe Pimple-Boy will learn to be a bit more circumspect around diabetic geezers with  vengeful natures and adolescent imaginations.  You'd think he would have noticed the clicking sounds as I racked the slide on my pistol, wouldn't you?

Three Hawks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:52:25 AM by Three Hawks »
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:36 AM »
RE: Sugar Free.

Sugar free does not necessarily mean carbohydrate free, or even reduced carbohydrates.  Read the label.  

Alcohol is not your friend, it screws up blood glucose very badly if used unwisely.  I like to drink as well as the next knothead but have learned to drink alcohol very sparingly.  It's coffee and tea for me.  Damn.  Read the label.

Another thing is the razzafratzclopdang artificial sweeteners.   Sweet 'n Low and Equal and the house branded clones are OK for me.   Splenda drops through like a dose of salts through a widder woman.  Most unpleasant and very efficatious as a laxative.  VERY!
Read the label.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
DUDE [doing best pimple faced left coast surfer boy impression]  Did you try Splenda or the Splenda with the added fiber  :lol: ???

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
DUDE [doing best pimple faced left coast surfer boy impression]  Did you try Splenda or the Splenda with the added fiber  :lol: ???LD
Splenda doesn't need any added fiber with me.  Splenda with added fiber would most likely make my name a household word any time the word "cr*p" came up in conversation.   Or it would be used to frighten little children into eating their roughage.  "Horace, eat up your lovely mashed turnips or Mummy will have to put Splenda With Added Fiber in your Bosco and you know that means you'll be "Three Hawking" your breeches at school again".

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline jim m

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
well I'll be da_____ , add another to the fold fellas. been on insulin for 3 yrs. needles and a1c tests are just a part of life now
any day in the woods with a flintlock is a great day

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:27 PM »
Quote from: "jim m"
well I'll be da_____ , add another to the fold fellas. been on insulin for 3 yrs. needles and a1c tests are just a part of life now

Make yourself at home, Jim.  

The missus has been hovering over me like one of those "Helicopter Moms" who won't let little Johhny do anything that might earn him a bruise, grubby spot or a scratch.   She's been watching what I eat like a crazy woman.   To make a long story interminable, I've lost ten pounds and have had to adjust my Lantus from 54 units morning and evening to 40 morning and evening.   I still take 20 units of Humilog at mealtimes.   The sawbones said losing weight reduces the amount of insulin needed.  

Ya think maybe if I waste away to a ton, I won't be diabetic any more?

Hopeful ol'

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline jim m

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »
weight loss is good but not a cure all, I lost 40lbs and am on more insulin now than before the weight loss.  diabetes is a curse  :cry: and yes watching carbs is extremely important
any day in the woods with a flintlock is a great day

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Diabetics
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Metformin needs no fiber with me, DR cut my intake in 1/2 do to stomach and diarrhea problems. I take a slow acting insulin at bedtime. Diet is supposed to be the 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 vegies I try but good luck.

Beer I can drink instead of carbs (not more than 12 ounces) Hard liquor lowers my blood sugar but that is also in small quantities. 2 ounce per day. I have found that rum is not friendly no matter what the charts say and will stick with a very good bourbon or single malt.

Best is when I do not use any alcohol at all. Corn breads are a No-No as any white flour. Beans are also bad but in small amounts are better that white flours.

In fact if you are diabetic follow your nutritionists directions and screw PC/HC as many died of our disease back then SOmeimes progress is better.

For all the health nuts on here and elsewhere that state diabetes II is your own fault I can only wait till you get older and have it by your heredity.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
The saying really should be: "Like Metformin through a goose."   :lol sign

Doagnosed this Spring. BIG family history with it. Diet change, low does of Metformin (trying to get around that due to my above statement)= everything's pretty good.

Have lost 14lbs or so without any exercise, but that'll have to start soon.

Doc want's to put me on BP meds to help protect my kidneys (which are functioning perfectly), but I am refusing due to the side effects I suffered with them in the past.

As a professional chef, my diet change hasn't been boring, but as someone who's grown up with rice at almost every meal, it hasn't been easy.

Fortunately, I've never had much of a sweet tooth.

Mario
PS- I'm only 36.

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I take a small 10mg dose of lisoprinol (spelling?) my DR said is an older BP med to protect the kidneys so far 1 year and OK.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »
Geezer,

That's one of the ones I tried.

Horrible side effects. Paranoia, mood swings, staying up for 2-3 days at a time, severe irritability, violent reactions. No thanks.

Mario