Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Best way to take care of a new bow  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:54:20 PM »
Hi Storm :shake

Hope you are able to contribute a bit more as you go along, as well as getting to meet / know some of our fine members.

Kick back, make yerself confortable, and enjoy what we have to offer. We have a lot to share.
You might even want to consider a membership somewhere down the road. We're always glad to have a new member.

Uncle Russ..
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »
Thanks for the input Storm. Good stuff.

Yes it's a primitive. Only a 35 lb draw for plinking (since most of my  'shooting' is done with charcoal burners). And I wanted a real bow for our June Family Frolic we have at our club as part of the Woodswalk (together with spear toss and hawk/knife throw).

Guess I need to take a photo and post so y'all can see what she looks like. Tried her out earlier in the month - shoots very nice and can reach out further than I thought. Took a ranging shot at the 100 yd targets with about 30 degree angle elevation . . . was short of targets by only about 10 ft. Glad I did not shoot at 45 degrees - only got 3 arrows and that would be a very stupid way to lose one.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »
Mike,
You avoided one of the most common mistakes new archers make, being overbowed.  Too many newbies buy a bow that is too heavy for them and can't shoot it so they give up.  Worse yet, some will suffer an injury thanks to the strain.  Just like any other physical activity it takes time for your muscles to develop.  If you can't come to full draw and hold it steadily and comfortably for at least 15 seconds, you need to either go to a lighter bow or work on developing your drawing muscles.

There are those who claim that you need a bow of around 60# draw weight in order to hunt deer.  I've frankly never seen a deer that requires that much poundage.  I can personally attest that a razor sharp two-edged broadhead launched from a 40# bow will blow all the way through the chest of the average Texas whitetail.  As with most hunting tools, it is not so much what you shoot as where you put the projectile.  I have a friend who has collected his deer every season for as long as I've known him with a .40 cal flinter.  When I started shooting muzzleloaders almost 50 years ago .45 was considered an all-around caliber and .50 was a big-bore mostly used for elk or other larger critters.

One last thought about your bow.  If you plan to hunt with it check your local regulations.  Here in Texas there is a requirement for at least a 40# draw weight.

Russ,
I like the site.  Think I may stick around for a while.  I would have joined already if there was a way to do so online.  (Hint, Hint)

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »
Come on Storm Rider.  Take the plunge!  I know the Pont Express will still take your letter from Texas!  Join Up - would love ta have ya around the campfire.

OBTW - did ya sign up for the Wand shoot?
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders